Any tips for getting my 3 year old to eat healthier?

All of a sudden I noticed my little guy will not eat veggies..he loves fruit but he just is very picky about new foods. Any tips would be great! I am also concerned that he is getting a bit chubby so that has been weighing on my mind too :o)

pauliepoohsma

Asked by pauliepoohsma at 9:02 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• Is he interested in eating what you eat? Even if he won't eat what you put oh HIS plate, maybe he will take bites of YOUR food? My niece was a little picky around that age, but would always try whatever was on her dad's plate, especially if he made a big deal about liking how it tasted. Good luck!
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 9:04 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• LOL sorry about the caps in my answer....I just read it again, and it sounds a little snobby....that is not what I meant at all--just wanted to emphasize that sometimes little guys dont want anything on their own plates, but are all about wanting what is on your plate.... =)
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 9:09 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Try and make veggies fun, I told my kids if they ate carrots they would be able to see in the dark. My 7 year old is convinced he can see in the dark to this day. LOL Honestly keep in mind that you need to offer a food at least 10 times to a kid before you can count it as something they wont eat. Try offering veggies with dip, with a favorite food etc.. in addition with my kids I give them a choice of which veggie we will have for dinner sometime having a little control will help as well. I wouldn't worry about your child getting chubby unless all he eats is junk and he never excersizes he is probebly bulking up for a growth spurt. Mine always chub up right before they grow.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Keep giving him lots of fruit...

You can also give him smoothies... get a few peaches and blend with spinach...my son loves them :
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 12:56 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I have read all kids go through these stages - what they eat is one of the few things they can control. LOL The best method I have seen,is let him see other children eating these foods and enjoying them. That has worked wonders with my picky girls! LOL

http://www.cafemom.com/group/CountryCooking
    MamaDiane

Answer by MamaDiane at 5:53 AM on Oct. 13, 2008