I went to get my first u/s today, but they couldn't see anything. How far along do you have to be before anything shows on an u/s?

I had a m/c on May 28 and found out I was pregnant again about 4 days ago. They told me they couldn't give me an EDD yet bc of my m/c being so recent. Is there a chance that I JUST got pregnant and that's why they can't see anything?

Asked by piercedbeauty21 at 4:56 PM on Jun. 30, 2008 in Pregnancy

• After my miscarraige they checked my hormone rates until they fell back to under five. Then when i got pregnant again then did an ultrasound at five weeks..where he saw something, but not a heartbeat. From what my Infertility specialst said, your hormone levels should be at a certain place before they can see anything (esepcially since people ovulate at different times, affecting how far along the baby actually is)

I went back at six weeks one day and saw a heartbeat.

Answer by Cmyfantasyworld at 8:20 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I had my first ultrasound with my kids when I was about 6-7 weeks along...but it was the internal U/S. I don't think they did an external until I was about 11 weeks.

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:59 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• to see something on u/s you should be at least five weeks pregnant. There's a chance, but a slim one at best. BUT the placenta is what kicks out the hcg hormone. If there is any piece of it remaining you will get a positive read on a prenancy test.

• re-reading the info. yes you could be pregnant again and they won't see it yet. It's too early. Here's hoping!!

• I had an internal us done at 4weeks 4days and all we saw was a sac. I think when hcg levels reach 1000-1500, but it would only be the gestational sac.some time in the 4th or 5th week.

Answer by mamaof2748 at 5:05 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• After my m/c I had to get blood work done to make sure my HCG count was at 0, and it was. That's how I know that this is a brand new pregnancy :) I didn't get the internal done, only bc I wanna take it REALLY easy so I don't m/c again (even though I know it was nothing I did wrong). I'm gonna go back the end of this month to see if anything's changed. Thanks for the help :)

Answer by piercedbeauty21 at 5:17 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I saw something at 4 weeks.

Answer by CarolineAdkins at 6:31 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I saw a sac at 4 weeks and a heartbeat at 5 weeks.

Answer by HeatherTurner at 6:57 PM on Jun. 30, 2008

• I know I had one at 5wk 3 days and they didn't see anything when I was pregnant with my son I went back at 6 wks and they were able to see the sac. I was 10wks when they were able to see the fetal pole (heart beat)

Answer by kt2babies at 9:01 PM on Jun. 30, 2008