My 4 month old wakes up crying and screaming!

He'll literally wake up screaming. He does this a lot! Any suggestions

LaurenKaye29

Asked by LaurenKaye29 at 9:06 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My daughter is 5 months old and has done this a couple times. It might sound weird, but I really think she is having bad dreams occasionally. Her baby monitor has a night light on it, so I dont turn any lights on, but I will go into her room to comfort her a little. She always goes right back to sleep, but it is a little unnerving when she lets out a blood-curdling scream for no apparent reason. If your little guy doesn't stop screaming or seems to be in real distress, I would call his doctor just to make sure everything is ok.
    littlejreece

Answer by littlejreece at 9:11 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I agree that he could be having bad dreams
    Kimora_neko

Answer by Kimora_neko at 9:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• ME TOO. MY LITTLE ONE HAS DONE IT TOO.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 9:13 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I agree with PP. My son is also 5 months and has started waking up in the middle of the night with a horrific scream. When we go check on him, he is usually already back to sleep; if not we give him his pacifier and he falls back to sleep.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 9:14 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• my daughter did then and still sometimes does this. I when really young the only way to calm her down would be to put her in the car and drive her around. She is two now. I usually just wait it out. I always have some sort of music going for her when she sleeps. I noticed she would do it more when everything was quiet.
    discoverytoygal

Answer by discoverytoygal at 9:20 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I have a 6month old and she only does this if something has scared her during the day or if she has had too much activity or too much noise. I went to a our big State Fair and I think she had bad dreams. Just make sure most days are quiet and don't expose to her too many scary things especially with Halloween almost here. They're little minds can only handle so much in one day. Also, it could be gas if not burped properly. Only 2x has my daughter had a dirty diaper in the night, but besides the dreams she has slept all night since she was only a few weeks old. I keep her on a good, gentle schedule. Some rocking and no night lights can help to. My daughter stirs if the lights come on.
    mrstremblay

Answer by mrstremblay at 10:23 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I'm sorry, I didn't mean to refer to your baby as a "she" I just realized you said "he." I hope you get some good sleep tonight! :)
    mrstremblay

Answer by mrstremblay at 10:24 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• im going to have to agree with everyone else my daughter does that sometimes too, its normally during the day though when shes napping. also it could be gas i remember my daughter who is now 4 months old would wake up like that, fart then go right back to sleep when she was like a month old.
    sarrrr13

Answer by sarrrr13 at 10:00 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• All babies do this at some point, I think. Its strange to think that they can have bad dreams at such a young age since they really don't know of anything "bad." But I've always said that my son was probably dreaming that there were no more boobs! Or maybe about the birth process....its got to be kind of a traumatic experience going from the cozy comfort of the womb to being squeezed and squished through the birth canal.... I wouldn't worry about it though. Just comfort herand let her know you're there and she's safe, and she'll calm down.
    Rachelou

Answer by Rachelou at 12:14 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• the magic sleepsuit is a new product that helps babies sleep better and longer because it helps calm the baby and prevent those twitches that can wake the baby prematurely. www.magicsleepsuit.com
    Anonymous