Can anyone tell me exactly what a mechanics lien is and how it works?

My husband leased a car about 7 years ago- for about 6months he paid on it and then went to the Marines where there was a written agreement that until he was out of boot camp he didn't need to pay. Well, while he was in boot camp they harrassed me with calls about paying and I refused stating that we had the written agreement that we didn't need to pay for three months. Well, they stopped sending bills and calling, and the truck got sent to collections. my husband tried for a while to figure out where to send payment,but when no one would answer him he gave up. The truck was never repossessed. It has been sitting in our driveway for about 7 years now and in that time we have had no one call us, but a collections agency had a lawyers office send us a letter with a settlement offer- we didn't pay it. Someone is interested in it and if they put a mech. lien on it to get rid of it will we still owe the collection agency $$?

libelula01

Asked by libelula01 at 12:30 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Entertainment

• Mechanic lien is a lien put against a piece of property in which monies is owed. This lien is also filed with the state. What this means is you will not be able to sell the property until this lien is paid off. My husband puts mechanic liens against land when a customer will not pay the fee for which he has done work.
    sassy43082

Answer by sassy43082 at 12:46 PM on Sep. 1, 2010