Ex's Parent's Question...

My daughter is 19 weeks old and her father left very early in the pregnancy...I told his parent's when I was 2 months along when I got my first US. They where not involved in the pregnancy but his mother did come to the hospital after she was born. I never agreed to a DNA test because I am waiting for him to ask me for it. They called me out of the blue a few days ago asking to see their grandchild, they have seen pictures of her and they are wanting to be involved. Should I let them be a part of her life?

Momma2Miranda

Asked by Momma2Miranda at 12:32 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't see why not, unless you know for a fact that there are extenuating circumstances (such as alcohol or drug problems, or a history of child abuse) that would make them unfit to see their grandchild. To do otherwise at this point, would be to punish them for the poor choices made by their adult son.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 12:39 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yes. IMO a child can never have too much love and if the grandparents are claiming her then let them.

Unless you aren't really sure who the dad is, why would anyone need you to take a DNA test?
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 12:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• yes it's still their grandchild.
    luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 12:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

I am 100% that he is the father...the reason for the test would be to prove to HIM that it is this child.
    Momma2Miranda

Comment by Momma2Miranda (original poster) at 12:37 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Do you trust them?? Technically they do have rights, but you also have to do what best for you and your child. Unfortunately I don't get along with my ex at all, trust me I have tried but he is still as mature as he was when we met at 16! Luckily though I do get along with his mother very well. I set up visits with her, she baby-sits, and she will try to knock some sense into dad when he's being an idiot. I say go for it, but be cautious- good luck!!!

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:37 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yes! My son is involved with his GPs and his father doesn't even have any rights. They are her family and if they want to be involved that is great!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:38 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yes, I think that kids can never have too much love and that even if 'dad' is a jerk, a lot of times the children can still benefit from having the grandparents in their lives.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:14 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Absolutely. :)
    Jessica157

Answer by Jessica157 at 1:16 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yes, I would.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:17 PM on Sep. 1, 2010