IUD removed going through first period adult content

I was wondering what your experience is with the first period after you got your IUD removed? I'm on day 3 and it sucks!! I have to use the super heavy pads and although they are dealable slight ache from cramps. My concern lies with blood clots. After I had my kids they said anything more than quarter size I should go to the Emergency room. I called the doctor she didn't know so she is checking on it.

mommabear53

Asked by mommabear53 at 12:41 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Health

• hmm..blood clots on a period..if they're bigger than quarter size, i'd at least call the er, or call the hospital/doc for a second opinion from the other docs....my first period after mirena was horrible..i was miserable...but never passed any clots (which worry me anyway, since i suffer from a clotting disorder)
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 12:45 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I figured on some clotting as I've had it for 4 years and the IUD does attach itself to the uterine wall at two points. Just like the placenta there is some healing involved.
    mommabear53

Comment by mommabear53 (original poster) at 12:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My first 2 periods after having it removed were terrible. I also passed a lot of clots.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 12:49 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• From what I've read clotting is normal, Still waiting on the Doctors call back. I'm not in any pain and its not so bad as long as I'm checking ever couple of hours to keep from getting too messy. I also remember all BC commercial saying smoking increases chances of blood clots. I'm a 1/2 a pack smoker so I'd say that is part of it. Oh I had the plastic 5 yr IUD, I didn't like the idea of having metal installed in my body for 10 years.
    mommabear53

Comment by mommabear53 (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Just got a call from the Doc she talked to her 3 other GYN doctors and she said that Clotting is normal.
    mommabear53

Comment by mommabear53 (original poster) at 1:57 PM on Sep. 1, 2010