Spending money- should it be equal ?

We are JUST getting by w/ bill and everything else. We recieved $2,100. dollars for a gas lease and my husband is using $2,000 for a bear hunting trip into another state w/ his boss and friends.
I'm I wrong in feeling like what do I get? I feel guilty for buying myself a pair of sneakers when the others are worn out...
I know he busts his butt at physical labor 40+ hrs a week and I'm a sahm, but I still feel that it is totally unfair.
I can't even go to the grocery store by myself let alone away for the day or week....
Would you feel the same?

cuteasabutton78

Asked by cuteasabutton78 at 12:49 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• Yes, I would feel the same. Just cuz you don't "go to work" doesn't mean you're not contributing to the house. I say when he gets back you plan a girls weekend and get away with your girlfriends for a nite or two!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 12:52 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Regardless of who earns the money, it belongs to both of you and the financial decisions should be made together.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 1:17 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• We would split it. Doesn't he even care he is spending it all?

I would split it, do something with the family or save it - wouldn't dream of hogging it all to myself.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 12:58 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• geez, I wonder why she answered anonymously, lol. People don't need to be so harsh- I worked for 7 of the yrs we've been together, it' s notl ike I never worked a day in my life- I contribute to this household as well. I babysit some and bring in cash selling Avon as well.
    cuteasabutton78

Comment by cuteasabutton78 (original poster) at 1:39 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• This question should be asked of your husband, not us -- if you have a problem with how the extra money is being spent, you should speak up.
    My DH and I don't necessarily contribute equally to household income (I work FT, he works PT and is a FT college student), but we each get equal amounts of spending money & money to pay towards our personal debts.
    Personally, when I was a stay-at-home mom, I never felt comfortable spending money on myself besides just the bare necessities and when I "needed" something. Granted, we only had 1 child at the time and my DH was working 50+ hour weeks so I didn't feel that the division of labor was fair (meaning, I felt like I should be contributing more).
    But it comes down to how you and your DH feel about it -- I would definitely talk to him if you are upset about how the extra $ is being spent.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 1:50 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• He who earns the money gets to decide how to spend it.

If you want your own money, get your own job!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:53 PM on Sep. 1, 2010