not sure what to do now,is this a sign to change career path or push on..not sure

in college for psych,was going to apply for doctorate school late, u need a doctorates to be a psychologist,a bachelors in psych. does have career options, but it is limited.It is one of those degree's that is meant for graduate school.My funding for tuition that I was banking on threw me a curveball. Due to some changes,graduate school is unfeasible now.I have no idea how I will even pay for the rest of a bachelors(I'm a little over a year into it) loans are not an option.Should I change majors and pick something with more career options as a bachelors,go for something easier to figure out financially like certifications or associates. If it helps,My "passions" are music,the arts,i like helping people.My"dream job" is actually working in the metal music industry,but I never really pursued that. I am just unsure now,my plan has to change. My husband doesn't care what I do as long as I'm dedicated and don't acquire debt

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 1:06 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• Having a masters degree is becomming more and more important. I would stick with Psychology and see how your internship goes.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 1:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• WHAT do you LIKE doing? What ever makes YOU happy doing, go for it! The sky is the limit.

You could see a career counselor who can help you decide.

Good luck.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 1:10 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• lol if you go to school you will acquire debt they go hand in hand you can't go for free... why are loans out of the question? What about pell grants they are federal moneys that are pretty much for parents. its not much but it helps and its a grant so there is no paying back. good luck i would stick with it....what about sociology instead is there much of a difference there?
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 1:13 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• no debt meaning no loans. the husband is strictly against school loans because as he puts it, their is no guarantee and what if we are stuck with that debt and the career does not pay off well. thus far its been nothing but scholarship money, small book money awards...we pay out of pocket for books mostly and that won't change. i dont want to go behind his back and get school loans because he is 100% against them and says this is not a necessity and we are risking the family if we take on school loan debt.
    moki1984

Comment by moki1984 (original poster) at 2:02 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• If you are only one year in and your husband doesn't want to take out student loans you are unfortunately going to have to do something that will start paying off sooner rather than later. Have you ever considered becoming a radiology tech/sonogram tech/MRI tech. You would be helping people and you can get done in about 18 months.  As you stated psychology is almost worthless unless you get a doctorate and that would take at least 6 more years.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 3:50 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• If I were in your place, I would go talk to one of the admission councelors. Find out about financial aid and other career options you can go into. If you're only a sophomore, we've probably been working on mainly core classes anyway which would transfer to another major easily.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:50 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• i would stick with it adn see how it goes
    Alejandra10

Answer by Alejandra10 at 7:41 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• As I am about to start my PhD, I hate to say it there is really no way to get a MA or a PhD without loans, unless you come into a large amount of money. You might be able to finish your BA, but the rest really is out of the question. You might ask hubs to attend a session with your Academic Councler and have them explain how hard it is to go to school without loans. What about his GI Bill? Or yours for that matter?
    buppyluck

Answer by buppyluck at 1:15 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I would seek advice from your councelor for the right direction.
    Dolotuc

Answer by Dolotuc at 12:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2010