Should I use pullups at night?

My 2 yr old is potty training, and we have been doing it for maybe a month now. He is really good about using the potty, unless he is having a fit at the time and may have an accident now and then, he does have a hard time going potty when we are out and about, so I use pullups then to avoid an accident. I have noticed though through the night he wakes up with a dry diaper. My only issue is that he does wake up in the middle fo the night and drink water still, and i don't want him waking up at night crying because he wet himself, especially since i'm going to be dealing with a newborn in a few weeks through the night. Also, when we does wake up in the morning he doesn't wnat to take off his pullups and put on underwear and ends up going pee in his pullups, or throwing a huge fit when I take them off.

Precious333

Asked by Precious333 at 1:26 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• IMO pullups are just diapers with sides
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 1:27 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Wish I could help... honestly I'm just impressed that your two-year old son is already potty training! My two-year old son is nowhere near that stage! Good luck!
    arouthier

Answer by arouthier at 1:27 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I never used pull ups. They are just like a diaper and they cost way more then a diaper. For us we will say once they can go a month without having an accident in there diaper. Then we leave on there underwear.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:28 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• try it for awhile if u usually wakes up dry just tell him that u ran out and if he does have a couple accidents switch back to using them
    nandy90

Answer by nandy90 at 1:28 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I didn't use them. Sorry, can't really help.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:32 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I never used them with my first but this one is potty training earlier on his own lol... he would take off his diaper, then he started sitting on the potty and going lol. But stll has accidents once in a while.
    Precious333

Comment by Precious333 (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• For me pullups are just convenience which is why I prefer to use them. They sell night time shorts for sleeping in. If you are using pullups during the day then I would us use them at night as well so you don't have to purchase diapers.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:38 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It is true they are glorified diapers and they are more expensive than diapers..but the issue is if you put a diaper on they have to lay down whereas pullups they put on like undies. It is said if you treat them still like a baby then they will act that way. If you can figure out how to put the diaper on standing up then I would totally do it, but my kid would NEVER stand still for that.

My son was also very young to be trained and I still use pull ups @ night, He even wets through those. Ive tried everything from no drinks to bathroom trips before bed but he still wakes up wet. i call them "nighttime underwear" so he doesnt think they are diapers. Some say to take them away completely but I do not want my 2 1/2 old wandering my house at night to pee nor do I want to change his full sized bed every AM.
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 1:58 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• We used pullups at night for a while too. When he stayed dry for a period of time then we tried just underwear. Eventually he was waking up in the morning dry every morning. Congratulations on the new baby and on your little one using the potty so young.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 2:05 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I would get a couple of good cloth diapers for night...and don't use pull ups. My experience with pull up type nappies is that they are very prone to leaking at night so if he does have an accident it might go everywhere anyway.

My son is dry at night and will wake up at 12 to go to the toilet and then go back to sleep. He is nearly 3. However if he doesn't wake I will put a reusable on him just in case. He is always dry..but I am still amazed out how well he has done!
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 2:28 PM on Sep. 1, 2010