What are the rules for communication during basic training?

My husband is leaving Oct. 1st for basic training and is a little vague on when he'll be able to talk to us. I know it's mostly through letters but will he be allowed to write us as soon as he gets there or is there going to be a period where we do hear from him at all?
Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked a million times but it's only just occurred to me now and I don't know when I'll be able to corner his recruiter to get more information.
Thanks for any help you can give me :)

flitpixie

Asked by flitpixie at 1:36 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• Well when I was in we were able to write only on Sundays it took me a couple of weeks to send out my first letter. I made about 3 short phone calls the whole time that I was there. You will have to wait for his first one in order to get the address to send him things. I am sure things have changed in the years since I was in. But that was my experience and is a basis for others to answer.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 1:45 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Melbornj had the same experience I had, but it really depends on the branch of the military too. I was Navy, and that was my experience. My husband was a Marine and had even less time to contact people. His cousin went Army just about two years ago, and she had a TON of opportunities to call back to family and write letters. She also ended up getting her cell phone back DURING basic training, which blew my mind.
    kittyhasclaws

Answer by kittyhasclaws at 2:03 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Very little, if any, communication.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 2:49 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yeah, he's going Army. He knows he won't get his phone until after basic, but we're not sure on the other bits.
    flitpixie

Comment by flitpixie (original poster) at 8:05 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My son graduated BCT a couple of weeks ago. As long as everyone behaved, they usually got their phones on Sunday for a limited amount of time. I believe Sundays were the days that they write letters too. It's not like you are totally cut off, but it is limited.
    marshalynn67

Answer by marshalynn67 at 9:38 PM on Sep. 2, 2010