Do you give your kids an allowance?

If so, when did you start? And how did you decide how much you wanted to give and for what (chores)? We never got an allowance growing up so I'm clueless in this area!

My kids are 3 and under but it's something I've just been wondering about. I think kids should have certain chores they should JUST DO and shouldn't need paid for. At the same time, giving an allowance can help teach them responsibility with money.

firenicecream

Asked by firenicecream at 1:43 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• no but my DD is only 3. However, she still has chores. I do not feel that she should be rewarded for the things that she should already be doing. The incentive should be that they are things that need to get done, other wise there are consequences. However, in the future, she will be required to go beyond the regular chores to earn money if she wants money.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 2:15 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I gave my two children ages 9 and 10 a chore and if they did them w/out being asked they would get $3. at the end of the week.
    My daughter needs to do the cat litter and make sure they have food and water. My son needs to take out garbage and feed/water the dog. Also Friday nights are "clean their room " night.
    We started this so they would help out around the house and understand the money thing- it worked for about 3 weeks and it's been done and over with for the last month or so- I'm not asking them or reminding them aobut the chores.
    When we go somewhere and they constantly want, want, want- it's their own fault, they should have done their chores and then they could buy that silly item!
    cuteasabutton78

Answer by cuteasabutton78 at 2:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• No, we don't give our kids an allowance. They do have chores-- they each have a chore chart and if they get so many chores done they get a treat out of the reward bucket.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:45 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• We make out son do chores around the house. Actually we just baught a magnetic responsibility chart for him to keep track of the things around the house that he chooses to do. Payday for him is on sunday of every week. We decided on 15 cents per every chore that he does. This way he can chose how much or how little he does. if he wants to buy something, his motivation to do more is up. He is 7 years old now, but it teaching him about receiving, saving and spending money.
    Ktree

Answer by Ktree at 1:53 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I never had an allowance growing up either. My daughter is too small right now for one, but my husband has mentioned a couple times about giving her one when she's older. I think it should be based, yes, on chores.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:07 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Nope. They are expected to clean up after themselves (they make the mess, they clean it up) and to help out because they are members of the household. As I tell them: I don't get paid to do chores and neither do they.
    There are certain things they can do to earn money. They used to get $1 to pick up litter in our yard. They got more if they picked up litter all up and down our street. I also used to give them $1 for helping me shovel snow.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:49 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Not yet.
    beckie66

Answer by beckie66 at 8:49 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• no,he doesn't do anything! lol

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:44 PM on Sep. 1, 2010