How to get rid of dog flea's?

Hi all

My dog has had fleas most of the summer, I have given him all kinds of treatments including natural. He still seems to be getting them despite clearing the house too? Any tips welcome.

Belinda x

Tallulah.

Asked by Tallulah. at 1:45 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Pets

• I have four dogs and live in the country, where they can play in the fields and woods. I do use front-line. but because they travel and play outside it was hard to get rid of the fleas. I found that if you use dawn once a week when you bath them, it works great. But I went a step further, I bought tea tree oil and added a few drops to the dawn, and toa cheap conditioner. The tree tea oil is a great natural oil that is also an antiseptic. it will not only kill fleas and ticks, but it will help with any sore from scratching. Mix a bottle of tea tree oil with vinegar and spray around your house where fleas may hide. also if you are vacuuming, place a flea collar in the bag , it will kill any fleas that you vacuum up.
    MzGeorgiaPeach

Answer by MzGeorgiaPeach at 3:12 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• We use Frontline and if there is an outbreak despite that then I get the Capstar from the vet and then treat the house and yard. The longer you wait to take care of it the worse it will be. Good luck.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 1:52 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• even the frontline and what not? take him to the vet and flea dip keep him at the vet for a day bomb every room in the house then treat the outside of the house...there are various sprays...also depending on where you live it might be harder as they are in the atmosphere like the south.....good luck....also use a flea collar and make sure if you do a flea dip or flea shampoo to wait at least 48 hours for any kind of treatment whether it be preventative or a flea collar make sure its the right dose also
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 1:48 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Your pets need a monthly does of Advantix or Frontline. They PREVENT fleas and ticks. GEt them at the Vet's office.
    If the have fleas NOW, you need to ask a Vet which is the safest flea and tick killing spray is. AND your home will have to be treated for fleas too. Good luck.ANd don't let it get too bad...it could harm you and your pets.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:49 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• We use Advantix and have a flea free dog. I would have the dog groomed clean my house from top to bottom then 2 days after grooming use the Advantix. I think it works very well.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:52 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• You can use a homemade shampoo that works for fleas- it's equal parts of Dawn dishsoap and Vinegar. It really works.
    Also, I got this spray from Dollar General and it's the best, I thinkit was around $5. I sprayed the furniture adn the carpets with it and withing 2 days you'll be finding dead fleas around the house. The most important spot to spray is wher the sun comes in teh windows and doors that is where the fleas eggs will hatch first because of the warmth. Take this spray and just go around the rooms and spray where the floor meets the walls. Outline all rooms, lift cushions up and spray them also. Oh and it can also be sprayed on the animals.
    It's made by BLACK FLAG and it's called FLEA ENDER room and pet spray.
    cuteasabutton78

Answer by cuteasabutton78 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• The vet can give him a pill that is like $5.00 and it will kill the fleas. Works WONDERS!
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 2:08 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• You may need to treat your yard and if your dog is traveling into a field or some woods, treating your yard will only help with some of the issue. The other thing is that you need to constantly sweep you house and furniture because of flea eggs. I use a flea powder on the floor every so often and when I sweep it up it then is in my sweeper and any fleas that I sweep up will then die in my sweeper instead of crawling back out of it when it is not being used. As for your actual dog, depending on how many times you have treated him and how many different types of chemicals you have used, it may be that they just are not working on him anymore. I would ask the vet about this. Big thing is to keep you floors, furniture and even his dog bed clean and constantly sweep.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 2:49 PM on Sep. 1, 2010