What is the difference

between Greek yogurt and regular...does it taste as good?

salexander

Asked by salexander at 1:50 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I never heard of greek yogurt what is it?
    butterfly3206

Answer by butterfly3206 at 1:51 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• my (ex)SO eats it, he says it tastes horrible but that its really good for you. he usually puts a packet of sugar in it though cuz he says it tastes so bad.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 1:52 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• http://www.viewpoints.com/thegoods/Greek-yogurt-vs-regular-yogurt-we-look-into-the-benefits-of-yogurt-probiotics
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:52 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I wouldn't suggest eating greek yogurt plain like you would with flavored regular yogurt but personally I don't think it's THAT bad. It's great for substituting other ingredients, like sour cream, in recipies and for making dips. I buy these boxes of "No Pudge" brownies that use greek yogurt instead of oil & egss and OMG they are the most delicious, chewy, yummy things ever and are completely fat free. If you do wish to eat straight greek yogurt try mixing it with fruit, nuts, & honey.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 1:59 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Greek yogurt is like regular yogurt only thicker and maybe a little more tangy. It also has more protein per serving. I like the flavored kind and substitute plain greek yogurt for sour cream. I think you can make your own with a cheese cloth lined strainer and let it sit overnight in the fridge. I haven't done this yet, though.
    JawgaMom1

Answer by JawgaMom1 at 2:15 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Greek yogurt is strained to remove much of the liquid, which makes it thicker without adding any thickening ingredients.

Unsweetened, it has a taste that is a cross between sour cream and yogurt. Sweetened, it tastes like regular yogurt, but thicker and creamier without a lot of tongue-coating fattiness.

I use it unsweetened on for baked potatoes and dips, and sweetened in place of regular yogurt for eating, smoothies, etc.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:33 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It's also called Fage(fah-yay). It is thicker and to me tastes like Sour cream.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:36 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• What is Greek yogurt
    mamaofficer

Answer by mamaofficer at 3:10 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I tried greek for the first time a couple weeks ago - IMO it's disgusting and I'll never buy it again. If you are adventurous, good-wise, try it once, if you don't like different/new things, stay away from it, lol!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 5:02 PM on Sep. 1, 2010