So you gave your life to Christ but your not in a cult?

Now before you get upset, know that I dont mean any harm by this question. I am just going by the facts that I have personally encounterd. And I dont have a point, I just want your opinion about the argument.

1. search the definition at dictionary.com (or where ever) - cult
2. I say "christ" as a universal understanding of the annointed one, so not just Christianity
3. There is nothing wrong with being religious of any origin
4. (its ashame I have to explain all of this to adults)
5. Dont you dedicate your entire life to pleasing an entity?
6. Isnt being apart of a church manditory (rather a body of ppl or as an individual repesenting one idea)
7. Arent there extremist in your group of beliefs? (as all others)
8. Dont priest claim to have the same exclusive authority w/higher powers as a cult leader?
9. Dont you make descisions based on what your God would think?
10. If you disagree, why?

sugahmamma

Asked by sugahmamma at 1:52 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Religious Debate

• there are several definitions of cult, one of them is "a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader." So depending on what defnition you go by I may or may not agree... either way, its just a word or label, and it doesn't change anything about what I believe.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 1:57 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• thats why im not part of an organized religion.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 2:00 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• The bad connotations of the word "cult" come from the way people define it, not the way the dictionary defines it.
    As for the list, the only one I disagree with is #8. I'm not sure what priests/preachers/fathers you've been around, but the ones that I personally listen to do not claim to have higher authority with God than me, or some special connection. They simply choose to dedicate their lives to studying Gods word and to helping others find God and follow the path that He set down to Heaven. They aren't better, they just know a little bit more :)
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 2:00 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• 2. Not all Christians adhere to the same "understanding" ;)
    5. No, I live my life in awe and glory of the God Who is Love, unconditionally
    6. I don't believe that being part of a church is necessary, or even adhering to one, or a body of, ideas
    7. that would make the extremists cults, IMO, not the moderates...
    8. I reject the notion that anyone has exclusive authority, whether they be individual people or faiths as a whole
    9. I don't see my relationship with God like that. Its not a please or be damned kind of thing, but a relationship of mutual trust, love, and acceptance. I live my life the way I feel is right (love, compassion, etc), it just happens that I believe God wants the same as I do.
    10. explained ^^ ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:00 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yeah..I am none of the above. LOL I agree with that whole thing.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:02 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Having been in a cultish group in the past.... I would disagree with your title.

I do my best to give my life to God but its not FORCED :-) ( key word in caps)
    No being a part of a church is not mandatory but it is encouraged... not FORCED
    We have radicals in all kinds of groups but it depends on what kind of extremists you are referring to.
    I make my decisions on what God says in His word and from wisdom given from friends.
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 2:04 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I don't feel like its a cult because to me a cult has an uneven distribution of power greater than that of religion. And- just wondering- why just asking about Christ (aka-Christians) why not Muslims or Jews or any other faith why just about Christ?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 2:11 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• 1. OK.
    2. OK.
    3. OK.
    4. OK.
    5. NO. SOME PEOPLE TAKE IT OVERBOARD BUT BELIEVING AND EVEN "LIVING IN THE NAME" OF CHRIST DOESN'T MEAN LIVING TO "PLEASE" HIM, MORE LIKE LIVING LIFE AS HE WOULD BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT YOU BELIEVE IS RIGHT.
    6. NO! NOT AT ALL. IT'S SIMPLY A PLACE OF WORSHIP.
    7. OF COURSE.
    8. NO, AT LEAST THEY SHOULDN'T. THEY AREN'T THERE TO COVERT OR BRAINWASH THEY ARE THERE TO LEAD THE OPEN AND WILLING. I'VE ACTUALLY BEEN SURPRISED AT HOW MANY PASTORS HAVE BEEN SO OPEN TO THOSE WHO DON'T BELIEVE OR QUESTION WITHOUT TRYING TO "BRAINWASH" THEM WITH THEIR OWN BELIEFS.
    9. WHAT HE WOULD "THINK"? NO.
    10. I JUST THINK YOU NEED TO OPEN YOUR MIND A LITTLE MORE, AND DON'T TAKE EVERYTHING AS IT SEEMS.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:12 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I ok pretty much. Thats why I hate organized religion
    hot-mama86

Answer by hot-mama86 at 2:31 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• 1. search the definition at dictionary.com (or where ever) - cult
    4. (its ashame I have to explain all of this to adults) I don't know what you are talking about this is your post
    5. Dont you dedicate your entire life to pleasing an entity? Because I want to, isn't freedom great.  Why are you bothered by what I do?

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 2:59 PM on Sep. 1, 2010