How long should my daughter stay on Facebook

My daughter once stayed on Facebook until midnight. After that she was talking to this boy that she did not know. I have access to her account on facebook and apparently this boy wants her phone number. I was really worried though so I cut her time on facebook from one hour to 45 minutes. Was this a good choice.

daniellelicious

Asked by daniellelicious at 2:00 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Ofcourse it was the best choice. My SS is 13 and he is allowed to be on for an hour a day and that is if he has all his homework done and his chores are done.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 2:04 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Aren't you suppose to 16 to have a fb account?
    1lilgirl

Answer by 1lilgirl at 2:07 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Cutting her time was smart, but I would have cut it completely.  I really don't see the point in children having Facebook pages, but if you allow it you definitely need to be very cautious.  If you are going to allow her to use it at all the time limit needs to be short and the computer needs to be in a very public place in your home.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:15 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I think the most I'd let a child this age do is 30 minutes a day. Not that it matters here, because Daddy has said no Facebook or MySpace or anything like that until they are old enough according to the rules.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 11:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I'm not even sure I would approve of an account at that young.. but my DD is only 2. Most of my cousins are around that age (i'mthe oldest at 25)...

and they have accounts though.. Although their parents have their passwords and the minute they do anything bad, they know they will have to delete their accounts.. adn I have to agree that their punishment is a fair one imo.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:12 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My 14 yr. old is not allowed on Facebook. That is just our family rule.
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 8:05 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My preteen girls are not allowed on facebook or chat rooms. It can be just asking for trouble .
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 8:51 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Our younger daughter doesn't even have FB (she's 11) and our older daughter (15) only gets an hour a day to split between FB and myspace.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:41 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My son wasn't allowed until high school, and my daughter won't be allowed until high school either - and then, only with my supervision.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 5:25 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Does she show responsibility in other aspects of her life? If so, then I would allow her to have an account...and then I would only allow 30 min - 1 hour per day in a very common area of the house with a parent in the room at all times and a parent must know the password.

Also, the chat feature should always be turned off. PM me if you need to know how to turn it off.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 11:05 PM on Sep. 4, 2010