im in college, if i get married how will that affect my financial aid?

now i get a full pell grant, and it pays for all my tuition and book and i have some left over. i also have NO income i was laid off in november 2009. i also have a dependent, and so does he but his daughter lives with her mom. so, i am a little confused, i know he cant afford to pay for my education... and suggestions are appreciated THANKS

coopsmomsarah

Asked by coopsmomsarah at 2:02 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in

• Well they would take his income into consideration, but if he doesn't make much then it won't affect it much. Really without knowing the numbers then it is difficult to say. I would go to the financial aid office and tell them you are thinking about getting married and want to know what effect it will have on your financial aid and I am sure they can run some numbers for you.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 2:06 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• thanks i will do that ;)
    coopsmomsarah

Comment by coopsmomsarah (original poster) at 2:07 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• They will count his income whether he can afford to contribute any towards your education or not.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 2:13 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It all depends on how much he makes and then the FASCA ending EFC(Expected Family Contribution, which, that number is given by the amount of the tax return.
    mrslampkin0420

Answer by mrslampkin0420 at 2:19 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• As the others have said they will factor in what his income is when you go to do your FAFSA again. Depending on how much he makes it may or may not have an affect on your grants. Good luck to you. I hope it all works out for you.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 2:27 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Once you are married, then they will take his income and your combined family size into consideration for your financial aid of any kind. Since his child does not live with you, I believe that would increase your family size to three from two.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:30 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• They will count his income too.

Nsbgirl

Answer by Nsbgirl at 3:21 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Financial Aid is depended on income, so income towards the household which is his will be counted.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 7:38 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• his income will count and if you get any scholarships or grants for being a single mom you'll lose those.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 6:42 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• If he doesn't make too much money to disqualify you, you will still get it. Or at least that was my experience and those that I know who got married in college.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 3:21 PM on Sep. 3, 2010