Ratings on Movies

My dd is 8 1/2 and wanted to watch Forrest Gump. It was on tv so we recorded it and she has been watching it. I was concerened about the sex scene but I think it was edited for tv because it wasnt that bad. It has had several parts that opened the door for discussion (like war, and when Jenny's boyfriend hit her). I am nervous about her watching this, she is mature for her age but I'm still paranoid. Have you let your younger child watch a pg13 with you around? How do you feel about it? please no bashing. I want my dd protected but I dont want her naive either. Just looking for opinions.

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 2:11 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Just for Fun

• My daughter is not that old yet, but if I were you, I would rather she watch it at home with you where she can ask questions. Like it or not, she WILL be exposed to things that will require discussions, and probably before you think she's ready. So better at home where you can control the information that she receives and make sure it's accurate. Good luck. ( I loved that movie, BTW.)
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 2:14 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I let my son watch "Lake Placid" and "Blair Withch" and "Predator" at three. He watched Forrest Gump as well when he was little. I DO NOT believe in censoring any movie unless it is actual porn. I believe that they open the floor for discussion and are helpful learning tools as they are pretend and not dangerous like real life would be. I thick we should focus more on world-proofing our kids instead of child-proofing the world.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:20 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I think it is a great movie for that age to watch and start to talk about. Kids are exposed to so much in school these days that is important to keep an open dialogue going.
    alexsmomaubrys2

Answer by alexsmomaubrys2 at 2:20 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Depends on the movie
    hdb

Answer by hdb at 2:24 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It depends on the film itself, as well as the child. Unfortunately, there's no real black and white answer. Ratings are still rather broad and sometimes, you either have to find out WHY it received a particular rating or vet the film for yourself first.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:25 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My kids, one of which is almost 11, have been watching pretty much whichever movie they want to see. They do ask questions about some things that come up, but I would rather be the one answering their questions rather than other children or parents. Keep the lines of communciation open. You will surprised how that helps. My daughter is now almost 16 and we talk about everything. At least I think we do. LOL
    christy_lvr

Answer by christy_lvr at 2:25 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My kids aren't that old yet, but we never pay attention to ratings... If it's PG13, there is no nudity or sex and very little blood... So it's no different than the stuff on TV. I see no reason not to let them watch it. R ratings, I tend to check out just to make sure there isn't to much gore or nudity, but they watch those too...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:27 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• my almost 10 yr old son loves horror movies, this is something we have in common.I think the decision should be based on the child's maturity,and what he or she is comfortable with.If one of my kids ask to see a movie,if its one I haven't seen then I watch it first,then basemy decision on that.
    stef1976

Answer by stef1976 at 7:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2010