• In the Spotlight:

What am I to do about my 6 yr old son doing his "business" (both 1 & 2) in his underwear?

He never had this problem when he was potty training. This has just been going on the last couple of weeks and has been worse this week. Please help me!!!!

Jalena

Asked by Jalena at 9:54 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• sounds like he might be acting out for some reason. someting at school? or something life changing in the last month or so?
    id recomend just talking to him, let him know that no matter what is bothering him its ok to tell you because you are his mom and you cant help him unless he tells you what is going on. my daughter gets kinda weird when things are bothering her, thats what i do and it seems to work. just be paicent with him, he might not be fully ready to tell you what is going on. but reasure him that you love him and want him to be happy and healthy, and going in your pants is no way to stay healthy.
    mom1g1b

Answer by mom1g1b at 12:10 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• You didn't say when he was having accidents. I went through the same thing with my son. If he is wetting the bed at night, it is probably stress or he hasn't adjusted well to having to go to school. It will get better. My son was having accidents at school because he thought that he could only go to the bathroom when the teacher told them to go. He was unaware the he needed to go to the bathroom as soon as the class was dismissed for recess and before coming back in from lunch. Good luck. Hope this helps.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 3:48 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Find out what's stressing him out. He's doing this in response to something in his life. Problems at school, a new baby, a kid is bullying him at the park? Something. Find the cause and fix it and the problem will go away.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 5:16 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I am having this same issue with my 6yr old. But for us, this has always been an issue. For us, I am going back to square one before we start using the psychologist again. I think if I try to use the steps we were using before by her, I may be able to stop this problem again. As for you, try assessing the situation with your child's teacher and doctor. Make sure there aren't any problems at school or at home, then speak with the Dr to make sure there aren't any medical conditions. Then ask where to go from there. It is extremely frustrating, I know. Good luck!
    masastan

Answer by masastan at 3:57 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• had the same problem the first week of kind with my son. he was afraid the teacher would leave him behind again. so he wouldnt go potty when he was suppose to . yeah even though i called the school and bus barn 3 x the week before and then again the day b4 school started about making sure they know he rides the bus to and from his teacher forgot to put him on the bus and i get a call and having to go pick him up the first 4 days of school. my husband went down and got things straightned out so he is less stressed and no accidents
    bonnie-jo

Answer by bonnie-jo at 7:04 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Thanks everybody for your help. I did have to take him to the doctor today with a sinus infection and while I was there I asked the doctor about what was happening and he seems to think that Kaleb is just constipated. And once I give him some miralax and he gets cleaned out real good the problem should be taken care of.
    Jalena

Answer by Jalena at 10:04 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• my 6 years old has the same problem. I was th inking that it is conctipation and i gave him a medicine made from olivera and it is helping him.
    yodahe

Answer by yodahe at 5:40 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Does he have REPTO-PROLAPSE?
    If he does,go 2 Children's Hospital @ get 1 1/2 in. of his colon removed, but u might have 2 do some extra cleaning up, so have extra Lysol @ butt wipes nearby

BUT, IT'S ALL WORTH IT IN THE END!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    DramaQueen1030

Answer by DramaQueen1030 at 10:27 AM on Jan. 6, 2009