CA VOTING MOMS--Measure 2 on the ballot ???

Could someone explain the negative impact of this measure (measure 2 Standards For Confining Farm Animals).
I get why standards would be a good thing, so I don't need to hear the "pros." I have grown up my whole life with chickens running free range, so I know the benefits and joys of letting animals stretch out and roam. I also realize that there will be an impact on local farms. This is where I am not educated in the matter. What are some of the arguments against imposing these standards? What impact is it going to have on local farmers?

PROGENITOR

Asked by PROGENITOR at 9:55 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Ok, here's my understanding. Farmers are claiming that they already have strict standards on how the animals are treated, so this would just be burdening them further and costing them money to build larger habitats for these animals and losing space on their land. Also, I heard some argument about animals spreading disease more freely if they're allowed to move about even more. I personally think it's a weak argument and that it is simply a matter of better health for us all if animals have space to move. Animals packed into a very confined spaces spread disease. That seems like common sense to me. But, warning, I'm a radical liberal...and Vote no on prop 8!
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 4:35 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I agree with most of what the above poster has stated....I am voting no on Prop 2 because I truly believe it is going to force all of the small animal farmers to close down especially the egg producing farms because California is known for their eggs...this will cause the price of eggs to go up even more than what we pay for them already in this state because we will have to bring them in from other states....I do not believe it is a good proposition because who is going to have the $ and resources to go carry out this law....this hurts once again ranchers and farmers who are doing their best to provide good quality products and it's always the bad ones who are a minority that ruin it for everyone else!
    Anonymous

• Anonymous, I was just reading the voter pamphlet and I have come to the conclusion that the idea that small farmers will have to shut down and prices will go up and, as they said, we will have get our eggs from Mexico, is a total scare tactic. Most small farmers already do meet the standards of prop 2. It's the larger chicken "factories" that would need to remodel their farming system. The rebuttal to the No on Prop 2 argument was written by small farmers!
    Also, update for Progenitor. The main argument against prop 2 is that chickens allowed to roam outside are in danger of getting bird flu from wild birds. That sound like a big load of crap to me.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 7:14 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• My concern is the small local farms. I think they are wonderful in a community. I wouldn't want to see them shut down. But, I also just assumed that they gave their animals room and quality living arrangments. I feel that the cost of food from local farms, where I live, is pricey anyway, and we cannot afford their good. We raise our own chickens and fruits and vegies. Anything we buy is probably imported anyway because it is cheaper.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 5:32 PM on Oct. 13, 2008