How to potty-train my 2 year old son?

My 2 year will not se the potty. I have tried everything from time limits to sit on it to walking around without his pull up. What else is there for me to do? HELP ME

Shelly2881

Asked by Shelly2881 at 10:02 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Honestly, I think he needs to be ready. Is he interested or do you want to potty train because he is 2? I tried it when my son turned 2 and he wasn't ready. We had accidents all the time. I took a break for 2-3mo and tried again. It clicked right away! I had to wait for him. Boys do take longer than girls.
    mommie_2boys

Answer by mommie_2boys at 12:08 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I have 3 boys, one is 16, one is 14, and one is 2 1/2. All three of them are so different when it comes to potty training. My oldest, well, I can't even say potty trained. He watched his Dad a few times go potty, and he decided that he was going to do it, and so he did. It was amazing!! I thought to myself "Hmmm - why do Mom's always complain about potty training. It's so easy". But then I had my second son, who I was pleading with at the age of 3 1/2, to please go potty in the potty, so he could go to pre-school. We are slowly trying to potty train my third. I think every kid is different, and they know when they are ready. It shouldn't really have to be work. Good luck to you.
    angelosmama

Answer by angelosmama at 3:11 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Pull-up, that's the problem. Kids in pull-ups don't train well or fast. Put him in real underwear. Yes it's messy but it works! Kids need to stop and change clothes and cleanup accidents for them to train. Pull-ups make accidents invisible and like they never happened. Even those feel and learn ones don't let others see the wet spot on their jeans! That's important for them to learn. No one likes cleaning poop out of underwear, especially a 2 yr old. Get him to help you clean accidents. Reward sucesses with lots of praise. It will work in a week or 3 if you take him out of the dreaded pull ups!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 5:10 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I have heard that the "sooner you start, the longer it takes." They seem to have their own timeline and agenda about this one. My son just decided one day and was potty trained from then on.
    MsGreenMama

Answer by MsGreenMama at 5:12 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I tried training my son at 2 also and realized that it just wasn't working. I thought he was ready but he too would have accidents all the time. Pull Ups are a waste of money in my opinion. I tried them for about a week. I stopped with the potty training all together because I was getting too frustrated and I had a newborn. Now he is 2 1/2 and completely potty trained (Even at Night!!!) He just woke up one day and decided that he didn't like diapers any more. Be patient your son will que you in when he is ready.
    Overwhelmed28

Answer by Overwhelmed28 at 8:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2008