What did you cervical mucus look like in the weeks before you had your first ovulation while breastfeeding?

I am currently nursing my 14 month old son. When I was nursing my DD (nursed her for 2 years) my first ovulation occured between 13 and 14 months. My first cycle was just a few days after she turned 14 months.

I chart so I know I haven't ovulated yet but I have been having spouts of very wet, milky discharge off and on for about 3 weeks. I don't remember what my cervical mucus looked like before I ovulated with my DD.

Does it sound like my fertility is trying to return? If so, in your experience how long does this usually go on before the actual ovulation occurs?

We are thinking about TTC again when my fertility returns.

Any info would be great.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:18 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• You know that it is a myth that you don't ovulate while breast feeding and that you can still get pregnant? Other than that it sounds like your normal discharge
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 2:27 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• ew. Too much information.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Actually most women do not ovulate if they are exclusively breastfeeding (LAM) in the first 6 months (less than 2% ovulate) and MANY MANY women do not ovulated until well after a year of nursing.

If she is charting then she KNOWS for a fact that she's not ovulating. I practice FAM and I did not ovulate with either of my children until they were 13 and 14 months old. According to the LLL website and kellymom.com 14 months is the average time it take for a women who breastfeeds frequently past 12 months to have her period return which means that like OP said the average women ovulates for the first time between 13 and 14 months post partum.

The discharge your having is a sign that your fertility is attempting to return. Usually women have a milky, creamy or lotiony discharge that can be quite watery before they have egg white discharge (fertile mucus). Your body will release several estrogen surges in the weeks and
    katelingerum88

Answer by katelingerum88 at 2:59 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• sometimes even months before the first ovulation occurs. Most women do have their period return in the same amount of time as the previous child as long as they follow similar breastfeeding patterns so I would say that your body IS trying to return to fertililty. It just hasn't released enough estrogen for your body to be able to release an egg.

You may also notice sore breast, cramping in your ovaries, and tenderness in your vagina over the next few weeks. If you want to speed things up you can trying taking Vitex to raise your hormone levels.

Good Luck to you.

***Oh and ignore the immature annonymous person. This is the TTC SECTION for cripe's sake!! People are GOING TO TALK ABOUT CERVICAL MUCUS. It's a normal function of the body that EVERY women has but most lack the education to know what to pay attention to in order to get themselves pregnant faster.

I hope this was helpful.
    katelingerum88

Answer by katelingerum88 at 3:03 PM on Sep. 1, 2010