Do boys raised by single moms turn out more girlish & do girls raised by single dads turn out more boyish?

I've seen both situations.. My best friend is a single mom.. with two boys.. one is very girly and one isn't. Then I know a guy who raises his daughter.. she is a straight tomboy.. doesn't want her hair done and doesnt want to wear nice clothes...
What do you think?

SuperrMommyy

Asked by SuperrMommyy at 2:36 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Hahaha..uh, no. I raised my son with no man and he is as manly as they come. He played tackle football, gets put in detention, is rough and tumble...refuses to wear anything but t-shirts and jeans. He is all testosterone. So...no, I disagree.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:43 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I think they do

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:38 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Not necessarily. My sister and I were raised by a single dad and neither of us are "more boyish." I used to hunt and fish, but it was just because it was fun for me. I grew out of it when I was about 15. That is the only "boyish" thing I ever did..
    FatGirl239

Answer by FatGirl239 at 2:39 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Thats not allways the case i was a single mom and my kids turned out very well many will grow out of it just give it time and be patient
    pyrofyterwife

Answer by pyrofyterwife at 2:40 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• From what I have seen no.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 2:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It's good for boys to be "girly" and girls to be "boyish". Research shows the most well adjusted people have qualities that are attributed to female and male, androgynous.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 2:49 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• There are so many variables! My husband was raised by his mom, and he's as manly as they come! I have a friend who was raised by her dad, and she is a tomboy but she also loves to get dressed up and be girly. I think it depends on the parents AND on the children. If a girl is going to be a tomboy, she'll be a tomboy no matter if she's raised by both parents, just dad, or just mom. If a boy is going to be effeminate, I think he'll be that way regardless of who is raising him.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 2:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• No, not at all. I think it depends on the particular family.

I've raised my sons alone since they were 2yo and 2mo, respectively. Both of them LIVE in jeans and tees, love Nerf and Legos, play war games in the park, and do "boy stuff" like catch frogs and lizards. I have to beg the younger to bathe, and the elder has to be gently reminded that he's getting old enough to need deodorant. In all, they are "typical" boys.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:46 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Nah, I think it depends on the kids - some boys are just cut out to be more feminine, and some girls are just created more tomboyish. I think that's more personality and nature than the way they are raised.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 2:48 PM on Sep. 1, 2010