Given the nation's current economic state, is this an example of Obama's fiscal responsibility?

Obama spends $800,000 to redecorate the Oval Office...

The Oval Office was done over by the chichi decorator Michael Smith, who was previously paid $800,000 for his part in refurnishing the lair of the former Merrill Lynch C.E.O. John Thain (a $1.2 million project featuring the notorious $35,000 antique cabinet, or commode).
~~~~~

Does anyone defend the spending as effective use of taxpayer money
or
frivolous wasteful spending in bad economic times>

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 2:38 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Wasn't it redecorated when he took office? Why would it need to be redecorated less than two years later?

Yes, I find it offensive, too. What an obscene amount of money! If it's taxpayer money, that's utterly revolting and beyond wasteful; this is the kind of thing that makes me feel like I've been robbed when I pay taxes. If it's his own (and he can do whatever he wants with his own money), he's a braggart and an egotist for allowing this to be broadcast.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 2:50 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I find it offensive and shows just how out of touch he is.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 2:41 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I don't think it needed to be done but since when has the president spent money responsibly?
    mommy2boys03

Answer by mommy2boys03 at 2:46 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Here's the thing. It does NOT matter that every president has done it and it does NOT matter where the money came from. The economy is the sh*tter and ALOT of Americans are very concerned this president is completely out of touch with the reality of day to day Americans and that he isnt DOING enough to help those who PUT him IN that office he redecorated. Its like the lavish vacations. Ita the Let them eat cake mentality that is making people crazy. Did he have EVERY RIGHT to do it...yes. Would it have been a a MUCH more POSITVE thing if he had come out and said " I am not redecorating the oval office because of current economic conditions and the money could be used elsewhere....maybe to hire workers to redo a veterans hospital." OMG I would have stood up and applauded THAT decision...WHY is it crazy to expect MORE from our elected officials?? ESPECIALLY one that said he would be DIFFERENT!

momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 2:56 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I *heard* that the makeover was actually done for free by the decorator, as a gift, but that it would have cost $800,000 if Obama had paid for it. If that's the case, fine with me.

If he actually paid for it though, I say it's an incredibly irresponsible waste of taxpayer money.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 2:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I see several articles that say it wasn't done on the tax payers dime but they suspiciously leave out the part that says how it is paid for. Of course it is done on the tax payers dime. Every President has something redone and it's always on the tax payers dime. I've read that Obama didn't have that room redone when he got into office but in my opinion this just goes to show how he lacks empathy for a country in deep trouble. The Obama family just keeps on showing just how much they can "feel" our pain.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 2:54 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Very frivolous... Do you have a link? IMO, the oval office is an iconic room that should never be 'redecorated'. It should be maintained to keep it from falling apart, but never changed. Its historical.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 2:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Taxes did not pay for the redecoration but funds from President's inaugural committee donations. Every President puts their own touch on the oval office, regardless of economic state, this is how it's always been done.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 2:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• If it really was done with inaugural money, I wonder if that's how his donors would have wanted their "tax" money spent. No matter what excuse you use it did come from tax dollars.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 3:01 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Tacky! AND tackiness radiates from that pic of this re-decoration..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:08 PM on Sep. 1, 2010