after giving birth how long does it take for your milk to dry up

i just had my daughter a week ago and i want to brestfeed her but since i had to have c section i have been on a bunch of pain pills, yes the doctors say they were safe to brestfeed while taking but i didnt want to invite those meds into her little body. so how long does it take for your milk to dry up? also some one at the hospital told me that i could get my doctor to give me some meds to get my milk supply back after i get off the pain meds has any one ever heard of this?

J_L_Fshr

Asked by J_L_Fshr at 10:16 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I agree Fenugreek is good. If you don't need the meds anymore then get off of them. You can also take Blessed Thistle with the Fenugreek and it will really help your milk supply. Let baby nurse as often as she wants for as long as she wants and that will help lots with your milk supply. Your body will keep up with your baby so don't worry about not having enough. The only pain med I have ever heard of that is safe to take while breastfeeding is tylenol. I have always heard that everything else is dangerous to baby. Don't give up on breastfeeding and try not to lose your milk, its not easy to get going again. Drink LOTS of water and eat healthy, lots of protein and veggies and fruit. When I started taking the herbs it took about 5 days before I noticed a difference so don't get discouraged if you try it. Hope this helps.
    naturalhome

Answer by naturalhome at 11:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• after i stopped breast feeding i didn't completely loose my milk for FIVE MONTHS!! i dunno if im just wierd, but that's my answer :)
    SummersMamma

Answer by SummersMamma at 10:19 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• YES, REGLAN IT WORKS, I USED IT.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 10:19 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• everyone is different. my baby and i got thrush and i had a HELL of a time regaining my milk supply. it was horrible...still struggle with it four months later. i would say if you are that concerned, get off the meds and breastfeed. because although some people are able to get their supply back, some are not. i still dont produce enough for my daughter after months of trying EVERYTHING. if you dont want to get off the meds, i'd say pump every three hours.
    CNehneva

Answer by CNehneva at 10:27 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Will your baby still latch? If the baby still latches you should be able to get your supply back. Other things you can do is, get an SNS, pump, drink LOTS of water, you could start the herbal supplement Fenugreek, or the perscription drug Reglan.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 10:36 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• My answer would be to stayt on the meds that they gave you at the hospital.A c-section is very painful.I had one with my son.And my son was like 7-8 months till my milk completely dried up.
    HesMyWorld2007

Answer by HesMyWorld2007 at 11:09 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Don't give up on breastfeeding. Your child deserves the best. Breastmilk with the safe meds is a million times better then giving formula. If you are adamant of giving formula now (don't be surprised if baby is gassy, fussy, and having stomach pains) pump to keep your supply up. When those formula problems start wouldn't it be nice to have the option of 'making it all better' by giving baby what her body requires, breastmilk? Good Luck!!
    mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 8:15 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Take the pills after a feeding, or not at all. You do not have to be on meds because of a c-section. They also prescribe pain meds after vaginal births too. I just had a c-section, decided I did not want pain meds in my tiny babies body, either. I chose my babies over meds.. I have never pain meds after having babies, our bodies are made to do this.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 10:53 AM on Oct. 12, 2008