My son is five weeks old and is already drinkin six ounces of milk. Is this normal?

I'm getting worried that he's over eating. He isn't spitting up any of the milk though and he sleeps for five hours between feedings or if he's awake he isn't fussy or wanting to eat again. I just don't want to over feed him.

Thanks Moms

lilmisscheerio

Asked by lilmisscheerio at 2:57 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• wow! Congrats on an easy baby!

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 2:57 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My daughter was drinking 6 ounces at 2 months old. I would say it's normal, yes. You shouldn't worry about how much formula he takes in a bottle, but how many bottles he takes a day and finishes. How much formula would you say he gets overall?

GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 2:58 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Thanks Butterfly
    lilmisscheerio

Comment by lilmisscheerio (original poster) at 2:58 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It's fine. It's great that he can go that long in between! He won't over eat. My daughter was like that. She was never able to use those little 4 ounce bottles! My son on the other hand NEVER drank more than 4 ounces, even at 1 year.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:59 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• @Glamourina, It's actually breast milk, I pump. He just started drinking six ounces these last two days but when he was drinking four ounces it was every three hours, he finishes all his bottles. Now we're feeding him six ounces every five hours. Before is was about twenty four ounces a day.
    lilmisscheerio

Comment by lilmisscheerio (original poster) at 3:04 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Go to http://www.kellymom.com/ and there are charts for how much to feed. You can overfeed with human milk just like you can with formula. You could try getting your baby to breastfeed. If you had early problems you may be able to breastfeed now.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:18 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Anyway, I'd just consult with your pediatrician. Since you know exactly how much your child is consuming, I am sure your pedi is the best route for this. He/she will be able to guide you and tell you the allowed intake for your child, based on age and all that fun stuff. Good luck! =)
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 3:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Personally I think 6 oz is WAY too much for a baby that age... it would be better to feed 4 oz more often, every 3-4 hours rather than 6 oz every 5. It's NORMAL to eat every 3 hours... that is what a baby is SUPPOSED to do.
    And a bottle fed baby can and will over eat if given the chance... I don't know WHY people hold onto that myth. Their tummy stretches just the same as any other person's.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• If hes going 5 hours in between that perfectly fine :) Thats what my son ate at about 6 weeks. Hes never been overweight :) You can always ask your pedi though.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 4:51 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I would feed smaller amounts more often. *I* don't even go 5 hours between meals! His tummy will stretch out which can lead to chronic overeating. Try 3-4 oz every 3 hours.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 5:05 PM on Sep. 1, 2010