Do you?

We all know that when we go to Wal-Mart we see people letting their kids pick out toys. I do it myself. So, this is my question. Do you just buy for your kids because you are their parents? Do you give them an allowance and they buy their own? Do you make them earn it?

hsmominky

Asked by hsmominky at 2:57 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Shopping

• Lately my DS has had to earn anything he gets because I noticed I was buying him something a little too often and he started expecting something every time we went to a store with toys my how quick they learn.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 4:36 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• If I have the money and they have been good, I will buy them the toy they want.. They are 5&3
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 2:59 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Once a month I let her get a toy. It has no bearing on behaviour at the store. It is decided before we leave the house.

I don't use toys as bait to act correctly. She knows what is acceptable and what is not.

She got a new toy on Sunday and immediately after started acting out. Even though the toy was not paid for, I didn't take it away since she was told she would get one. She lost her walking privledges and had to ride in the cart the rest of the day. She got the toy to play with once we are home (which is the norm).
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:01 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My daughter is 14 months old and we buy her a toy every time we go to Target, which is maybe twice a month. Not expensive ones, 10-15 max. We do let her play with a few we've selected while there and see which one she takes to best. So I guess in a way she picks it out. We do save the big, expensive toys for either Christmas, her birthday, or some other special holiday.

She earns it with hugs and kisses =)

GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 3:02 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Blake doesn't really care about toys unless he sees them. Most of the time he's fussy at the store because he doesn't like going much. So, I take him to the toy isle and let him get something that will calm him down and keep him entertained. Sometimes he'll keep it and sometimes he'll put it back. If we do go and get something it's usually just a hot wheels car. He loves those.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 4:54 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• We dd a gift every now and again. She has to earn it. She's only four, but she has to clean up her room and her toys every day. She does very well at it, so about once a month (usually less often) we gets to pick out something small for herself.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 7:36 PM on Sep. 1, 2010