is there any way to tell?

i'm 34 weeks and i'm just wondering if there is any way to know if your baby is head down yet? my doc told me she was going to start checking me every doctor appointment starting with my next one, which i go to in two weeks. and she told me she would be able to tell then if baby is head down or not. but i'm just wondering if there is any other way? i sometimes feel like there are feet in my ribs but with this being my first pregnancy i honestly don't know what things i'm even feeling. anyone got any feedback?

aliciamarie1012

Asked by aliciamarie1012 at 3:01 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Where are you feeling your kicks at? If they are up in or by your ribs then your baby is head down... Congrats!!
    June_Mama09

Answer by June_Mama09 at 3:05 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• you can feel it. if you lay down on your back the babys head will be down by your pelvis....you should be able to put a hand on either side and you will either feel the head or nothing. before my last one turned it felt empty really low but that was where i was feeling most of the kicks and anter she turned there was ann obvious bulge there and i felt alot of pressure espessially when she moved her head.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:05 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Haha, my husband and I used to play "Guess the body part" when I was pregnant. We would go to the doctor and she would do some feeling around, and be saying "Oh, there's a hand! That's a foot! That's a knee!" and when I would feel it, it just felt like a bump, haha!
    I don't know if there's really a way to tell if your baby is head down though...
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:05 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I couldn't tell with my singleton baby, except where she was kicking at, but there were times I felt "kicks" down low that were probably strong punches. With my twins, at about 28 weeks one settled down into head down, but the other was transverse across my stomach just below the ribs and still flipping back and forth so her head wasn't always on the same side. I couldn always tell how she was laying though because a couple times an hour she would stretch and push my ribs out and during those times I could feel my stomach (actually it was right under my ribs) and feel a perfect outline of her back and feel which side her butt and head were on! It was really cool and the only thing that made the pain of her shoving my ribs out bearable!
    frat_twin_mama

Answer by frat_twin_mama at 3:12 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I don't think that it is really possible to tell. I have asked my Doctor but she just tells me that I don't need to worry about it and that she will start checking when the times comes. Good Luck.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 3:14 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My babies have all been breech or transverse until 37 weeks, and the only way I can tell without a sonogram is by the hiccups.
    Ashes0813

Answer by Ashes0813 at 5:46 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Your doctor should be able to tell by palpation.
    You can try Belly Mapping (spinningbabies website).
    You can get an ultrasound, but I encourage moms to avoid unnecessary risks/exposure.

You can try moxibustion and Webster technique IF baby is later on, among other exercises.
    Lots of options!
    :-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:28 AM on Sep. 2, 2010