maternity leave?

so i'm 34 weeks, going on 35, and i am a hostess at perkins restaurant. i'm just wondering how long i should wait to take leave? my boss and everyone i work with keeps asking me and i have every intention on working all the way through. my job is quite easy the only hard thing that comes with it is i have had some serious issues with my feet swelling, everyday after work i want to cry because they are so big. my work shoes hardly fit after work and i have sock rings digging deep into my skin because of how swollen they are. the hard part is sometimes i can't get a break to sit down or get any water because we get quite busy and someone has to be watching the front lobby for customers. also i don't sit so i am on my feet from 8 in the morning until 330 everyday. and my patience and my hormones are on edge sometimes. as easy as my job is, i plan to work through the whole time unless i literally cant anymore. feedback?

aliciamarie1012

Asked by aliciamarie1012 at 3:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Pregnancy

• the earlier you take off before the baby comes, the less time you have after they arrive. I worked till 4 days before my due date
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:11 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I would be inclined to do the same - work as long as possible. Maybe you can find some support hose to help? Or just make sure to drink lots of water and put your feet up when you get home.
    LovesFredric

Answer by LovesFredric at 3:11 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Get bigger shoes and work up to 40 weeks if you want! Put bottled water at your station to sip.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:11 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I would say base your decision on how much maternity leave you get and whether is is paid or unpaid. I got zero maternity leave. I was told to take medical leave and was only paid until my sick days ran out. I worked until the day before i gave birth and went back to work 8 weeks later.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:12 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I would ask your doctor. Most doctors will tell u work as long as u r comfortable. It doesn't sound like u r. All the sweling and lack of drinking,I would go on leave this week.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:13 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Work up til you can. I don't know your financial situation, work leave/benefits or when you're due but....if you're being induced on say a Tuesday, work until the Friday before. Having the $ from working up to that point will be nice, plus if you're home, you'll go crazy because everything for baby will already be done & ready & no baby there yet. lol

However, if you are swollen you NEED to take it easy! Sit when you can. You are alloted 2 15 minute breaks every 4 hours.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 3:14 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I worked as long as possible with mine. See if they'll let you sit. Can you do something else like answer the phone for the last few weeks? The longer you work, the longer you'll have after the baby comes.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:15 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I worked until I was induced (40+ weeks), but I have a desk job. I would not have wanted the time taken away from my maternity leave if I could help it.

I would stick it out for as long as possible, but if you can't handle it, take it. Ask your employer if it's possible to keep a stool nearby that you can sit down for short periods, yet still be able to watch the floor. Buy shoes that are slightly bigger (wide-width if you don't have them already). Socks, I'm not sure about.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:16 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• where i work taking time off before baby does not take away maternity leave, it starts the day the baby is born no sooner. i get paid disability if i choose to go out before i deliver. with my son i took the month before i was due off then i got 8wks maternity leave, 6wks paid bonding time from the state then i did 2 months unpaid (i had savings back then, haha). this time i will probably take disability leave 2 wks before my due date, we now get 12wks off for maternity pay and i'll be getting the 6 wks bonding pay. every employer/state is different so i'd check on how it will affect you financially if that's a worry.
    boom_maker

Answer by boom_maker at 12:10 PM on Sep. 2, 2010