Do you cover your child's ears/eyes if you're watching something with questionable content?

It's tough when you haven't seen the show or movie before and don't know where those parts are, lol!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• No, we only let them watch TV or movies we have prescreened.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:15 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• No. If I'm watching something like True Blood and they come in I quickly change the channel. Anything else I let them watch. I don't watch rated R movies when they are around.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:16 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yes, if it catches me by suprise. Then I will turn it off and watch it later when they aren't around.
    MokaMommy

Answer by MokaMommy at 3:17 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• This doesn't happen at home but if we are at someone else's house, I do. I cannot control what other people have on tv but if I know them well enough, I ask them to change it.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:18 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• If I were in that situation I would change the channel. No show/movie is "worth it" to me.
    firenicecream

Answer by firenicecream at 3:23 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I just don't have it on if I know there is a chance it could be on. But if they do see something I don't shelter them from it completly. I ask them what they saw and what they thought about it, and I will tell them if I thought the behaviour they saw was innaproriate and why.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 3:24 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Nope. They either do it themselves or I tell them they should look away or go away because they shouldn't watch whatever it is.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 4:08 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• What are you teaching your child(ren)? To be ashamed? Let them watch it. Let them ask questions about it. Take the time to explain the difference between "real life" and "television/movies". Most children today are sexually active well before their 11th birthday, simply because "mom and dad" didn't take the responsibility to explain the cost of sex. Most children (pre-teen to late teen) are confused as to what sex really is. They actually believe that sex is only when you have penetration between penis and vagina. We need to take the time to explain what "sex" is. Once they understand it, they won't be eager to experience it. They must learn what the cost of having sex early is. Pregnancy, no education, bad reputation, disease, and quite possibly, death. (STD's are running rampant in schools these days, teach your child about them. You may actually save their life.)
    Bearwolf48

Answer by Bearwolf48 at 5:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I do agree with bearwolf on the sex thing, but when it comes to bad language or violent scene that catch me by surprise yes i will cover his ears or eyes. But if I know the tv/movie will be inappropriate I will not watch it with him around.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 7:53 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I would turn (the tv) off but if we were not at home I would cover their eyes and ears and take them elsewhere.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:28 PM on Sep. 1, 2010