Is 14 too old

I am engaged to a great guy who has a 14 year old son. He reads to him each night at bedtime. This young man also has and plays with stuffed animals. I have grown children and it's been awhile but this just seems odd to me for his age. I am wondering if anyone thinks that it's an odd behavior?

lglgal

Asked by lglgal at 3:17 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Yeah that is really weird I would say 11 is the oldest to read to as for playing with stuffed animals my 9year old wont play with them anymore..
    brittanybell

Answer by brittanybell at 3:19 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Nah..not really. I think its great that they have such a strong bond.. & as goofy as it sounds, I played with dolls until I was like 14..lol
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 3:20 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Does he have developmental issues?

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:20 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Hmmmm I'm not really sure, I occassionally read to my children they are 15 and 12 but not all the time...sometimes they will just be silly and say hey can you read this to us...but its not an every day kind of thing. (They think its funny how I make voices for each character in a book and tell me it reminds them of when they were little - but its rare)
    My 12 year old still has beanie babies around, that he will sometimes throw around with the dog or occassionally I'll see him sleeping with one...but again he's not really "playing" with them, and certainly not sleeping with them on a regular basis
    Sounds a little odd to me, but every child is different.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 3:21 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• yes. my kids and i still read together but they read to me and younger siblings at about 7 years old. my 8 and 12 year olds have a couple special stuffed animals but they are on shelves not played with.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:22 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• that is fairly odd behavior for a 14 yr old, but maybe he has a learning disorder or something of that nature that he feels the need to have that kind of attention? Or maybe the parents havent allowed him enough space so he hasnt quite grown up enough?
    Nicholeb211

Answer by Nicholeb211 at 3:22 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• If they like reading together then there is nothing wrong with it. My husband used to read to me every night. It depends on how he plays with the stuffed animals.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:22 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I am assuming his parents are divorced. Maybe reading to him at night is one way he helped him deal with going through the divorce and it is something that he keeps up with to help his son feel secure.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 3:23 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Im wondering if hes a only child?
    pyrofyterwife

Answer by pyrofyterwife at 3:24 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I think it is a way of a Son & Father to bond and spend quality time together. Especially since obviously there was a divorce. It is wonderful for his Dad to read to him. It must be very hard for the boy so maybe those were the Best times he spent with his Daddy, reading and snuggling with his stuffed animals. The poor little guy is probably holding on to what he remembers before the divorce. Thank God he hasn't turned to worse things and there is nothing wrong with being a kid for as long as you can. I still collect Teddy Bears and I am 43!
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:29 PM on Sep. 1, 2010