My hubby's kids are being given advised by their mom and maybe grandma.

the kids come over acting very reserved at times and hardly speak. 10 and 9 yr olds. I'm like what happened what did I do. I'm guessing that the mom is advising them against me or something. my mother inlaw asked me if I notice something wrong with the girls. she saw them at the school when she picked up another granddaughter and the girls hardly spoke to her their own grandmother. I must be a threat to the ex cuz I'm the stepmom but what about my mother inlaw the girls grandmother what's up with that?? bottom line I hate that she is making it hard for us to establish a relationship. she is only hurting the girls emotionally really. my daughter in the other hand is so loving and sweet to family and friends.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:37 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I definitely wouldn't mention a thing to the girls or another family member about the Mom telling the children not to talk. It will reach her and the drama will escalate not lessen. I'd just be nice to the children and not mention it again. If the Mom is talking shit about you, you freaking out will only prove you are a bad person to the children. Let your actions speak louder than words here. Resist the temptation to get drawn into toxic drama!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 4:53 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I agree with the above poster here and also have experienced similar. Eventually through your actions by being the better person, the girls will come around. They are being pressured and maybe even guilted by their mom into acting like they don't like you. Just treat them like you would your own and have patience.
    janie-o

Answer by janie-o at 6:41 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Maybe there is something else wrong. Maybe they would open up to their dad? I'd try to find out if maybe something is going on at their mothers house. Possibly abuse? Well, if she's advising them to not talk to you, thats mental abuse, but maybe it's more than what you suspect.
    Anonymous