Advice on getting baby on routine??

I have a 5 week old baby girl and I am having a heck of a time getting her on a routine.Everyone says ya can't spoil a baby but I think she is spoiled. We started out having her sleep in her playpen with built in bassinet in our room.When she was 4 weeks old we did a week of her sleeping in her own crib in her own room and she did great with soft music playing but now she wants nothing to do with her crib and room.If I put her in there she will scream and scream till I take her out and put her in the bassinet in our room and she will sleep there.The other night was the best night,she slept for 6 hrs in between feedings but last night she was up almost every hour and most of the time she just wanted to be held.Right now as I am typing she is in her swing screaming cause she wants to be held.She has been changed,fed and burped.I have two older boys and I never went thru this with them.Any ideas??

butterfly7909

Asked by butterfly7909 at 3:22 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• try colic tablets. or gas drops, maybe being held is putting pressure on a gassy belly.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:25 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It's normal for human babies to ant to be held. For all of history and still in most places infants are held all the time and moms breastfeed and sleep with their babies and toddlers. It's normal for toddlers to wake at night until they are 3. If they wake and mom isn't there they scream their horrible scream so that mom will coome running and they won't be carried off by wolves or whatever. It's hardwired in the human brain.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 3:26 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• First of all I wouldn't have a new born baby like that sleep in a separate room from me yet. but I guess that is your choice. I always wanted them close so I could tell if they were breathing ok. So much can happen those first 6 months. But you need to just wait for them to establish what is comfortable for them and then YOU have to adapt. No, you can not spoil a baby. Who ever told you that you can put a baby on schedule is telling you a tale. All you can do is be consistent in what you can do, provide for their needs as they need them and love them. Sleep is a precious thing for you when they are so little. You need to get used to no sleep. There's nothing you can do about it. Its that way for all parents with a baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:27 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• If you have 2 other kids, then you know every child/baby is different. What was good for one is not for the other. 5 wees old, wrap her in a blanket.

Answer by louise2 at 3:27 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I've heard girls are needier than boys. Maybe you're expecting too much? IMO 5 weeks is too soon to expect her to get used to a routine...
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:27 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• She maybe having gas problems... not to sure but maybe ask her doc. When there tummys hurt they want held and if she does good some nights and not others that maybe why. Also she may just be more comfy in her playpen thing. Try putting it in her room and let her sleep in it until she gets alittle older... get her use to one change at a time. First the room. Then later on change her to the bed. Sometimes babies dont like swings either. Try a bouncy chair. My son loved the chair and hated the swing. Always put her to bed at the same time everynight even if u have to fight to keep her awake until then.
    tiffany0317

Answer by tiffany0317 at 3:30 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• She is too young to be spoiled yet. Babies at this age have no idea how to manipulate to get what they want, they just have a need and they will cry until it is met. Perhaps this baby is just more needy than your sons were and requires a bit more closeness to Mama. Perhaps a sling or front carrier would work to settle her down and not make you feel like a permanent baby holder. I have read that the safest place for baby to sleep for the first 4 months is in the parents room but in their own space, so the bassinet sounds perfect and if she sleeps there then I would wait a while to force the crib issue. Babies are so small and used to being in the tight space of the womb, or the close comfort of our arms, that a crib probably feels like a vast expanse, and maybe that is why she feels more secure in the bassinet. Some nights will be great and others not so great but you know they grow fast and this will pass soon. GL!
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:31 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Just realized I didn't really address schedule issues. What helped me to get my DD on a schedule was to watch her natural tendencies. Everyday at 11:00 she wanted to sleep, you could practically set your watch by it, so I worked off that. I figured that was much easier than trying to force a nap at another time of morning. I basically let her take the lead and watched for patterns to try and follow. And I went with what worked. She slept in my bed for a while because that was where she would sleep and frankly, at 4:00 in the morning I just didn't care and wanted to sleep, too, so I let it go. She moved to a crib full time by 6-7 months or so and she slept thru the night by 12 months so I don't think it spoiled her. I used to hold her in one arm while she slept and type work emails with the other hand. Some would say I spoiled her but I think she was a good baby because her needs were met and it didn't ruin her later at all.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:38 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• She is too young to know routines. U r expecting way too much. Girls r very different from boys. Keep her in the bassinet in your room,she won't get scared then. The reason she keeps waking is because she is hungry, put two teaspoons of baby rice cereal in her heated bottle and shake it,that will fill up her little tummy,she will sleep through the night for u. It works try it and message me how it worked for u. look forward to hearing from u.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:38 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Thanks for all the comments.I plan to keep her in my room longer in the bassinet thing and keep working on everything.She does not like to be swaddled cause he likes to have her hands and feet free.She usually loves her swing but in the past week she wants nothing to do with that or the bouncy chair or even her play mat.She just wants to be held and I don't get to get much done but I manage to do what I can when she does sleep.She likes to fight to sleep and she gets so overtired and super cranky.That is what she is now.She is content at the moment laying on her boppy sucking her binkie looking at my computer screen and listeing to music.Daddy used to always play Ozzy when I was preg so when we play that she calms down a bit.She likes the softer music from him.
    butterfly7909

Comment by butterfly7909 (original poster) at 3:39 PM on Sep. 1, 2010