My son is just down right RUDE!

I try to teach my son to be polite, and say please and thank you, but it doesn't seem to be working. All day he orders everyone around saying "Give me this, give me that" with no please, thank you, or excuse me! I'm constantly reminding him to use his polite words, but it doesn't help. What am I doing wrong?

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 3:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Tell him you're going to ignore him until he asks politely?
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 3:44 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• How old is your son???
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:44 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• You're not doing anything wrong. Just be sure everyone else in the house is also using good manners and polite words. It may take a while to teach him good habits.

In addition, you may also want to make sure with "give me this/that" is met with refusals. If correction alone doesn't work (reminders and such as you've been doing), then he may need to see that his rudeness will NOT get him what he wants.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 3:46 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I agree with Codysmom2106 and SarahLeeMorgan. I did that with my oldest and she stopped. :)

They are learning more of the independance.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My son is 3 1/2
    exxOHjackie

Comment by exxOHjackie (original poster) at 3:49 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I found a site (can't find it at this point in time isnt that always the way) that said to do this.
    kid- "give me a cookie!"
    mom- "say please first when you want something"
    (then wait for kid to say it, if he doesn't don't give it to him, if he says it give it to him, if he argues ignore him or repeat "only when you ask me nice")
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 3:51 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Whenever we were little my mom and dad would say to eachother when we were being rude "Do you hear that bug? I think they forgot their polite words. Oh well, I guess no ______ until they find them again." Always worked for us! =]
    S_morgan09

Answer by S_morgan09 at 3:52 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Are there consequences for his rudeness? If he asks for something in a rude manner- does he still get it? It may seem like a battle of the wills- but God love you for trying to teach & enforce manners. His teachers will appreciate it too!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 3:52 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I think all you can do is make sure he is NEVER ever rewarded for his rude words or pushy demands. If there is no good outcome for those actions, then hopefully he will quickly learn how he needs to act in order to have positive results. Consistency is key, even if it is exhausting.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:52 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I ignore all rude commands from my kids. If they ask rudely for a drink, they don't get one until they ask politely.
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 1, 2010