Do you volunteer at your child's school?

If so, what do you do?

At my son's (Head Start), parents can volunteer to help out in the classroom, read to the students, help w/ craft projects, help with parent committee meetings and so forth. For now, I'd like to volunteer to help in his classroom and read to them. I can only do it occasionally, but next year when my vacation time at work is refreshed, I can hopefully do it more often. I'd love to see what a typical day is like for him there.

thatgirl70

Asked by thatgirl70 at 3:54 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in

• I volunteered for 3 years in a kindergarten room. The first year my son was in the room. I kept doing it because I loved the teacher and she appreciated the help. When the paraeducator quit in March I volunteered full time until the end of the year since it was impossible to hire a replacement. The next year the principal offerred me a job!
    CometGirl

Answer by CometGirl at 7:46 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I chaperon field trips, and am room mother when they have class parties. I enjoy the time with them!
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 3:56 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• nope, one of the drawbacks of working full time
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:55 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I think its great that you want to be more involved like this. Its so good for your son and for you too. I have high school age kids and Im on the executive board for a booster program. Im the secretary. Im still trying to figure out how to transfer the minutes onto the computer to download them on the schools letter head,,lol,,my dd is going to help me
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 3:56 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I never have in the past. Their old school made it to be too much of a pain to get to volunteer. Plus I had a toddler at home. We just moved and they're going to a new school and I already got a form about volunteering (it was only the 1st day). I'd like to do some behind the scenes stuff like setting up for parties and things like that but I now have 2 kids at home (a 4yo and an infant) so it's not practical. I never know when my husband will have off and it changes all the time so I can't really plan ahead. Maybe when the youngest is in school, too.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 3:56 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I volunteer for one event in each of my 3 daughter's classrooms each year. Last year, I helped with 3 classroom parties. This year, I'll be chaperoning 3 field trips.

I feel that if every parent could volunteer just one time during the school year, the experience would be good for all the kids. I understand that some parents have to work and can't volunteer, but perhaps those who can't be there could still help out for things like "culture day" by sending in a traditional treat from their culture and the kids could send them a thank you.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 4:03 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• my kids are in school and we have room moms its the same thing but you have to sign up and the teachers pick which or who they want but as most parents work there are only a few....unfortunately due to security issues we can't have any parents come the classroom on days where we have parties. They can send stuff in or drop it off but they aren't allowed to the classroom only the room moms. They do allow them to read on fridays if they volunteer though but that is it.
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 3:57 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yes, I try to be in the classroom often. I always volunteer for the parties and last year my husband and I helped out in the classroom every Wednesday, helping the kids with projects and doing whatever the teachers needed a hand with.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 3:58 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• So far for the last two years in preschool I have volunteered but something has always happened. Like a snow day or my LO was sick.
    I would love to volunteer more but like others said working full time does not allow that much.
    mommy2each

Answer by mommy2each at 3:59 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I will be volunteering starting in January. I'll be teaching Yoga to pre-school children. I think it will be a lot of fun. I have to wait until I'm no longer pregnant and feel comfortable leaving my baby with someone else for an hour a week.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 7:30 PM on Sep. 1, 2010