Iraq War...

Ok, I am not good at history or politics but everyone keeps talking about the different wars and was wondering what you thought.
Others I know say we won WWII lost Veitnam and for Iraq I have no clue. What is your opinion? I feel we actually lost, don't know exactly how to explain that thought but I do. Honestly I don't know if anyone really wins with a war. I know why we originally went and agree but from there it just makes no sense.

mommy2each

Asked by mommy2each at 4:07 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• That's the problem with the war on terrorism.

No one can tell you what winning it looks like.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:13 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• IMO, we won on the basis of establishing a better government. Taking Saddam out was a victory of its own. But now Iraq has a parliament and we are training their military. Is Iraq still vulnerable? Absolutely, but that's why 50k troops are still there who can fight if need be! And if all stays on top iraq will be self sustaining in a few years. Right now the main point is getting iraq to a self defensible state. Obviously keeping the government as un-corrupt as possible is up to the people, and the people will feel confident in choosing if they aren't being terrorized which brings it back to having an efficient law enforcement and military. Will iraq ever be perfect? Probably not. But we have taken a huge threat out and have helped to rebuild. A childrens hospital with an actual cancer ward will be opening soon! That is proof things are working towards the better.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 4:30 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• How can you feel we lost if you don't really know what they did? Personally, "winning" does not mean we conquered all. For the most part we did win. Sadaam is gone, the people can walk the streets safely in most parts of Iraq and people are opening businesses they could never have. There are new schools for the children and they are working on a stable government. All of those are wins. It's not perfect but it's a lot better over their for the people which is what matters most.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 4:41 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I'm with Crissy. My concern is with the way their election went a stable government is off in the distance somewhere. That gives the opportunity for another Saddam Hussein to come into the picture. I think the world is a better place without Saddam. The Iraqis have their own future in their hands. That is more than they had before.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 4:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• You said you know why we went there and you agree? I was just wondering what that was? I don't think we won or lost. They actually don't have a government established they are still fighting about that.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 4:43 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• No, we didn't win. What was there to win, actually? Our government wanted Saddam Hussein out of power because they didn't trust that he would keep the flow of oil coming our way. Iraq is now on the verge of a civil war and will certainly tip into it as soon as they feel the US will not be able to stop it. In my opinion, we are giving up and coming home, which we should have done years ago. More like we should have never been there in the first place. By the way, before you all jump on me, I certainly do not blame the troops for any failure or anything. I blame it on the initial decision to go over there.
    stacymomof2

Answer by stacymomof2 at 5:14 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I don't know if we won or lost, but it didn't cost as much as some other things, if that is any consolation. :)

According to CBO numbers in its Budget and Economic Outlook published this month, the cost of Operation Iraqi Freedom was $709 billion for military and related activities, including training of Iraqi forces and diplomatic operations.

The projected cost of the stimulus, which passed in February 2009, and is expected to have a shelf life of two years, was $862 billion.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 5:46 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• 29again.  I think your answer is ridiculous.  That's what you care about not that over 4000 soldiers died.  To compare the two is sick.  One was the biggest waste of money in U.S. history, and  one was for a stimulus that did help Americans, even though you like to say it didn't.  During a time that we should be happy we are leaving Iraq, you are quoting Fox News about the cost of the stimulus.  That is priceless.

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 6:25 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• One was the biggest waste of money in U.S. history, and one was for a stimulus that did help Americans, even though you like to say it didn't. During a time that we should be happy we are leaving Iraq, you are quoting Fox News about the cost of the stimulus. That is priceless.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 6:32 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I am so sick and tired of those who keep saying that we could not afford the war, that it was money wasted, that the answer to our economic problems is to pull out, blah, blah, blah. The FACTS are that it cost LESS for nearly a decade of war, then it did for the stimulus, which has been in effect for a matter of MONTHS, and has NOT helped us. No, I do not like war. No, I am not happy that so many have paid the ultimate price for the Iraqi people to be free from that evil man. However, they are much better off today than they were before, under Saddam's reign of terror. So, while I absolutely HATE the fact that we had to go through this war, it was still less costly than anything our dear leader has done. How many have died in this country due to the misguided attempts of our admin to fix the "inherited" mess (which he voted for, btw). Say what you want about me, but I STILL think we did the right thing over there.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 7:41 PM on Sep. 1, 2010