How can i get my 3 year old son to stop bitting his fingernails?

AnaRosa1107

Asked by AnaRosa1107 at 4:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• my mom broke me of my nail biting hant by sticking my fingers in nail polish remover, it smells bad and tastes worse....and that tiny amount wont hurt him if he does stick them back in his mouth, took like a week and i havent chewed my nails since : )
    Nicholeb211

Answer by Nicholeb211 at 4:11 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• There's some stuff at walgreens or cvs that you can put on the nails that make them taste bad.
    RAI2001

Answer by RAI2001 at 4:13 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I never made a big deal about it. My almost 8yo daughter has been biting her nails since she was 2. It doesn't bother me. It's 10 less nails I have to trim every week. And I literally have not had to cut her fingernails in the last 6 years. Not once.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:44 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• my 4 year does it, too. He bit too much one day and it bled. He learned quickly that it wasn't a good idea and now comes to me when they need to be trimmed.
    HopetheKitty

Answer by HopetheKitty at 6:48 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• try to keep them trimmed enough she can't bite them. Nail polish may be a good reward.
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:58 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• oh sorry, thought you had a girl!!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:59 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Hmmm, interesting. You need to reach the source; the "why" part. Is it nervous energy? Does he have anxiety perhaps? Have you asked him why he does it?

This will be a habit that is difficult to break...your best approach is constant reminding and repetition.

Does dad bite his nails??
    Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 11:13 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• my 3 yo son bites his nails from time to time, but thats all my fault. I always bit my nails and once i started seeing him do it i knew i had to stop. I think he only did it when he saw me, and then i would pop his hand and mine saying thats gross. i try not to make a big deal out of it when i see him, but i do pull his hand away from his mouth everytime i saw him and its worked somehow. Also i trim his nails every week.
    sweetpea0614

Answer by sweetpea0614 at 2:02 PM on Sep. 2, 2010