Year Round School, I'm freakin' out!

I just found out that the school that my DD will be going to when we move is a year round school. I've never dealt with one and don't really know much about them.
It also seems that she will be starting just 3 days before intersession.
I have no idea who I am gonna get to watch her during this. I think I'm freaking out a little.

Can anyone give me some info on it, and maybe how you manage childcare during the breaks?

Gealach

Asked by Gealach at 4:10 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in

• My sister attends year-round school. It goes on a "track" system. Each of the 4 tracks starts 2 weeks after the next. They go to school for 6 weeks, get 2 off, and so on. ALL kids get a week off for fall break, 2 weeks off for Christmas, a week off for Easter, and there is always a 3 week summer break for everyone.

It isn't difficult to deal with, just a little different. My sister loves it, because she gets burned out with school very easily so she's able to take a break and come back fresh.
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 10:31 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Here, year round just means a shorter summer break, a week for fall, two for winter, a week for spring and a few other one day holidays scattered out. Not too bad. I'd just start looking fro a sitter for the breaks. Don't put it off too long, or it will be hard to find one. My mom babysits and already has about 3 kids scheduled for breaks.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 4:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Here, the kids go to school for 9 weeks and then are off for 3. It's a nice break for the kids - and you can find some great vacation deals off season!! Here the YMCA, some churches, some private organizations (skating rink, etc) and the city parks and recreation department offer track out camps for the kids in year round schools. If there are year round schools, there will be track out camps because the places can make money and lots of other parents will need childcare as well. I can imagine you could ask the school for recommendations.

Answer by missanc at 8:57 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Year round school just means shorter semesters, shorter breaks. Really great for students b/c they do not forget the information over a long break.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 10:40 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• A lot of districts are switching to year round. Good luck!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 2:32 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Try connecting with parents as early as possible and find out how they manage childcare during the breaks. Does the school have a website with PTA info? Maybe they can hook you up with a babysitter. Does the school do any kind of camp or daycare during the break?
    RedRowan

Answer by RedRowan at 8:05 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Sorry, forgot to answer the childcare question.

Definitely try and talk to parents of kids that are in her same "track." Maybe you can set up a way for them to watch your kiddo, or they can lead you to a good childcare where your DD will have someone they know in childcare!
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 10:32 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I used to teach on a year round schedule. The kids went to school for 12 weeks and then were off for 4 weeks. When we went back to school, we were in a different classroom. Let me say, it keeps you organized! I don't know what the parents did for the month off, for child care. Sorry. :(
    What's the point of starting 3 days before intersession? She won't be learning anything. They'll be cleaning up the room if they'll be moving classrooms. It will be confusing.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 12:17 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• We don't have those here. Not yet anyway.
    L.A.F.outloud

Answer by L.A.F.outloud at 6:52 PM on Sep. 5, 2010

• Our school system did year round school when I was a kid and I loved it. You never really got bored with school or summer. It thought it was great.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 1:09 AM on Sep. 6, 2010