When and how did you potty train. Any tips/tricks appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I just let my kiddos run around nekkid for a couple days. The first day I had to clean up a few pee pee puddles but then after they did it a couple times they were like, "OHHHH, thats what happens" and went in the potty. I kept one in the everyroom that we frequented during the day and also sat them on the potty everytime I went and made a big deal when I sat down to go.
    -crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 4:15 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• We started when each one of our children showed interest in the potty. With both, I know we tried but they really didn't want to sit once they got there. So we held off for a bit. Once they can go long times with out wetting. Tell you when they are wet or poopy. Can hold it for long time. Tell you they want to use the potty. If it does not work the first time. Back off for a bit and try again in another couple of months. Before you know it they are potty trained. We just got our 3 yr old potty trained a few months ago and know working on night time.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 4:16 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• i am currently teaching my son. He's 28 months old. I started around 25 months old but wish I waited till now because he is really grasping onto it ately. It was child-led from the beginning! he showed us some readiness signs so I went with the flow and started the process. He told us when he went and took his diaper off, so I took him to the store, had him choose his very own potty and underpants. I also grabbed a travel potty ring for outings and home, and some plain white undies since they come in a bunch for cheaper then character undies.I got him some potty dvd's and potty board book. I taught him the basics, doing a show and tell of the bathroom and the process "mommy is going pee pee", "pee pee goes in the potty", "time to flush! bye bye pee pee!", "time to wash the hands!"....etc. Children learn by example, including potty training!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:21 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• when my daughter was 9 months old she potty trained herself , she saw a tv commercial about potties with a roll of tissue on the side, and she said i want
    so I got her one put it in the living room and she used it right away. Its worth trying i say.
    yamus

Answer by yamus at 6:36 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Coming from a working mother who doesn't have time to let them run around and pee all over the house.....My son was the hardest to potty train. He is the type of child that does things in his own time. I put a pull up on him at three years of age and he was potty trained 6 months later. That may seem a long time to some parents but I believe a child does things at their own pace sometimes. He just got ALOT of good boys and next thing we knew he was so proud of him self he did it every day. Good luck- Remember....every child is different! :)
    Shannon Z.

Answer by Shannon Z. at 9:53 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My son just got potty trained a few months ago and he loves Toy Story and we told him if he started going potty we would buy him one of the toys from Toy Story and it worked plus we put cheerios in the potty and told him to sink them it was funny but he had fun trying
    coryswife8183

Answer by coryswife8183 at 10:21 AM on Sep. 3, 2010