What would you have done?

OK, my mother has a roomate...he has a GF...she has a rotweiler.The dog nipped at my 5 year old daughter the other night when the GF was messing around with my daughter. So we go today, and there is the GF and dog, this lady is telling my daughter she has to pet this dog. OF COURSE SHE DOESN'T WANT TO. After 5 minutes of her being quite rude to my daughter about this dog (he thought I was hurting you...he really doesn't bite, pet him, blah blah blah) I had enough. I politely told her that Alyssa is now scared of him. She comes back with "well she needs to know he won't hurt her!" I pretty much lost it then "If she doesn't wanna pet the ---dog, she doesn't have to, so back off!" And a couple other choice words were shot back and forth. So now this woman is pissed at me, and I feel bad for my mom...she JUST moved out of my house into this one, but GEESH... Was I wrong?

mama14572

Asked by mama14572 at 11:01 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Relationships

• Trust me we had a rottwieler who we raised from a puppy and thought was the sweetest dog around. That is until she freaked out and unprovoked put 30 stitches in my husbands face. Long story but there was no indication that our dog would ever react that way to a family member. You were right to trust your instincts and protect your daughter. I wish people would realize that no matter how much you think you know a dog, you just don't know how they will react for sure. They are animals. chances are high that the dog could have attacked your daugher when she tried to pet it if she was afraid the dog would have smelled it and been nervous. If it picked up on it's masters agitation even more dangerous. You did good Mama don't let anyone make you feel different.
    Anonymous

• no. my cousins little girl had to be hospitalized and then plastic surgery not even quite 2 years old!!!! no one should do something they should not have to. maybe you could have been nicer about it if you were not.
    CNehneva

Answer by CNehneva at 11:09 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• no you weren't wrong! if your daughter doesn't want to pet the dog, she shouldn't be forced to
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 11:11 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I think you lost your temper a little, but I don't think you were wrong for telling her to back off, and that your DD didn't have to pet the dog. What you said wasn't wrong, it's how it was said...you know?

But then again, I think I would have lost my cool if she was trying to push my DD into doing something that she didn't want to do, after I said she didn't have too.
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 11:12 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Ok, I might have lost my cool a little bit, but this lady was PUSHY...and I could tell my daughter was intimidated...maternal instinct I guess...
    mama14572

Answer by mama14572 at 11:15 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• absolutely not she cant force your daughter to pet any dog she dont want to and as for the biting she should know better than play that way around any dogs
    Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 11:20 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• and ur mom is not going to hold it against you cause its her granddaughter
    Mommy2Be1212009

Answer by Mommy2Be1212009 at 11:21 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• My mom isn't mad at me, I am just worried that she will be uncomfortable there now. You would think a grown woman (dog owner) would understand why I said something...geesh!
    mama14572

Answer by mama14572 at 11:25 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• NO!! You weren't wrong AT ALL.... this dog showed aggression to a child...and that should NEVER be tolerated. This story has pissed me off so bad "I" want to cuss that woman out!! How stupid of her and GOOD FOR YOU!! You did the right thing.... you're mom is a big girl and she can take care of herself; I'm sure she'll be fine.... and more so, I'm sure that she wouldn't want her grandchild put in harms way.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:25 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Absolutely you were right my 22 yr old daughter was bit in the face at 10 yrs old by a friends sheep dog. Thank God we had a fantastic surgeon & her scar looks like a dimple now.
    It's dog versus daughter. Daughter wins 100%
    jeannie6812

Answer by jeannie6812 at 11:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2008