My friends 10 year old dd is having the worse time going to sleep at night

One of my friends has been having problems helping her DD fall asleep. The little girl cries because she is so tired- but can't go to sleep. She doesn't give her any sugar after 6pm, takes shower, has tried adjusting her bedtime... but nothing has worked. So her DD is exhausted.... any suggestions?

janessa27

Asked by janessa27 at 4:16 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• My Daughter is 10 and has been having sleeping issues as well. I would worry myself to death about her because she could lay there for hours and just look at the wall. Part of her issue is that her brain doesn't shut off, she thinks about things constantly like I do. I took her to the Doctor and they checked her over good. They said that everything looked good and sometimes kids just have a hard time. She suggested the 1mg Melatonin for a 10 year old petite female. We got some, adjusted her bedtime and have started giving a warm shower at night followed by Hot cocoa and her Melatonin and it is working wonderfully. Some children just have a hard time. I would suggest the melatonin.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 4:28 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Melatonin, it is a natural sleep aid. She should have her daughter take it about 15 minutes before bed, climb into bed close her eyes and relax. Maybe playing rain noise in the backround.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 4:19 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Could be growing pains.. I got them TERRIBLE at this age..
    There are some homeopathic remedies for this if you go to amazon -
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:21 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I'm pretty sure that is a doctor worthy concern. At 10 that stage should be gone. Poor chica :( I would definitely say make an apt asap.
    -crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 4:19 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• 3 mg of melatonin. That should work. My son takes it, he's on ADHD meds and can't fall asleep without it. IF that's too much, they also have 1 mg melatonin, too. But my son is 12, and he's small. He does fine with that dose. He goes to bed about 9 pm and is up about 6 am. If that also helps.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 4:23 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• One of the only thoughts I can think to add is that I personally cannot sleep worth a darn if I'm too hot. Is this possibly a problem?
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 11:40 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• After advice from Dr. try some relaxing music. My daughter is 11 and she still sleeps sound when I play her music. I've always given her quite time an hour before bed. Good Luck:)
    Lisa1167

Answer by Lisa1167 at 11:34 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Our 15 year old is having trouble sleeping. We got her some "sleepy time" herbal tea and that has helped. Good luck!
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:36 PM on Sep. 2, 2010