Did I Ruin My Chances of Getting this Job?

I got a response on a job I applied for and really want. They said they wanted me to fill out the official application (I applied on Monster so they only have my resume) then follow up with them when I have done that to schedule the interview. They didn't say HOW to follow up. So I completed the application, and sent them an email. I have read a lot of articles on the best way to go about getting a job. One of the rules was to send emails instead of calling because typically, they are busy and an email lets them get back to you when it is convienient for them, and you will not be placed on the back burner. So I started the email formally. Dear Ms. ____,. I had not heard back and it had been almost 24 hours. I called. Who would have known Kristen was a man. Now I think I have messed up my chances of getting this job. What do you think?

ABusyBee

Asked by ABusyBee at 4:19 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• Not at all. Id say He gets that allot. Dont stress over it. HE could have shortened his name to Kris ya know.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 4:23 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I would have followed up in person, it demonstrates a different level of commitment.

But regardless, no, I don't believe you blew your chances. This man probably deals with this often, as he has a traditionally female name. I doubt he'll hold it against you.

Best of luck in your job search!
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 4:22 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Oh Boy! I hope you get the job anyway.
    DesertRose75

Answer by DesertRose75 at 4:23 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• You always want to find out as much about the company as you can. I would think that he would be used to people making that mistake. Don't give up.
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 4:25 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I'd bet with a name like that he gets the "Ms." quite a bit. If they were interested in you enough to ask for a formal application, I don't think your mis-step is going to cause them not to pursue a job with you.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 4:25 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• You should be fine, however I would have called instead. Even just leaving them a message shows that your on the ball. Good luck!
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 4:26 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yeah, unfortunately for him, he probably has gotten that his whole life. Actually, I think calling back to follow up so soon would ruin your chances more. It is not typical for a company to have even looked at your application if it has been less than 24 hours. Don't forget the work day is only 8 hours long. You should have at least given it a couple business days and then in your e-mail stated you filled out your app on such-and-such a date was following up per the instructions you were given.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 4:29 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• No, I'm guessing he most liekly gets that all the time. I used to have a male manager named Dana. He made jokes about it all the time because he was so used ot it. :) We had a merket manager come in and host a meeting one day and she was calling role. She said "Dana M***"... no answer, he is standing right beside her. "Dana M***, is Dana M*** here?" He looks over at the paper and says, "Dana? She NEVER shows for meetings. She's useless really!" The market manager just started to go on about her way when she looked better at the paper where it said his middle name 'Lee' and she smacked him with the clipboard and said, "That's YOU!"
    LOL

I would just follow up again by phone or in person if you don't hear anything in a day or so.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:30 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• OH! And good luck! :)
    Memigen

• I don't think it hurt at all. He's certainly used to it! Good luck!

Answer by gdiamante at 4:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2010