how do i get my 4yr. old to poop in the potty instead of her pants everyday?

sometimes i think shes being lazy, other times shes just being a kid. but even so were looking at possible problems with her preschool kicking her out.

chattycathy555

Asked by chattycathy555 at 4:29 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When she does it. Clean her up in the bathroom. As you are talk to her about where you go poopy. For some children it is scary thought for them. Also have her help you put the bag in the garbage and putting her cloths in the washer. Give her reminders during the day or ask where do you go poopy. She will get it.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 4:33 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Are you sure it's behavioural and not medical?
    Does she always know when she needs to go, or is she sometimes caught unaware....

I'd speak with a pedi and see if there is a medical problem, just in case.

Tried reward charts? Each time she goes in the potty, she gets an ice-pop, or a small toy, some stickers etc....
    Then when she gets a week / 4 days she gets a bigger prize....
    A big sticker chart in the kitchen / living room with shiney nice stickers gives her an immediate sense of achievement, and a reason to keep doing it.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 4:33 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I bumped ya! My son is younger, 28 months old but he is also prefering to poop in his pants or on the floor instead of the potty. he pooped in the potty one time and we were so proud of him, but he hasnt pooped in it since. We came so close to it today! He was mid poop and I ran him to the potty but he refused to sit. I dont know why...I mean he poops on the floor if he's naked so why should pooping on the potty bare bottom be any different lol.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 4:33 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• thanks everyone im thikin, i just need to be more patient. I am going to clean my daughter right now then, make the poop chart. thanks again everyone if anyone has any other ideas PLEASE LET ME KNOW.
    chattycathy555

Comment by chattycathy555 (original poster) at 5:07 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My son is 3 and knows to poop in the potty but when someone makes him mad he uses the bathroom on himself. I'm gonna try the reward chart.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 5:11 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Been there, done that. My little guy has trouble with it at times and he's 6. I do know that the harder we pushed/forced/reminded him, the more he dug in and wouldn't do it. We also tried the reward charts, but he got wise to them and learned to work the system. I would definitely talk to the pediatrician and make sure that there isn't something physical going on. And be patient, she won't do it forever.
    HopetheKitty

Answer by HopetheKitty at 6:45 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• This is not the popular answer, but here goes...have her clean the undies. One time of doing that and she will remember where poop should go.
    Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 11:12 AM on Sep. 2, 2010