boyscouts vs girlscouts

So on the way home from school today my 9 yr old dd informs me that she "wants to join BOYscouts this year because they do really cool stuff like make wooden cars and shoot BB guns and bows and arrows. All Girlscouts do is make bracelets and sell cookies". We have been in girlscouts and she isnt far off.....So I am not going to try and put her in boyscouts because her daddy and pawpaw will take her to do these things, BUT it got me thinking,

CAN girls join boyscouts? Should they be able too? Is it time for girlscouts to revamp or is it just our local girlscouts that are like that?

momof030404

Asked by momof030404 at 4:38 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I dont think they can, no they shouldnt be able to. And yes girlscouts should revamp. There is nothing wrong with wanting to make wooden cars and learn to shoot bb guns.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 4:41 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I and Im saying no they shouldnt because boys are completely different than girls and should be allowed to act like boys without girls around.
    browningmom

• No they shouldn't be able to join.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• In the older groups, they have the Adventurists or something close to it and girls can join.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:44 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I dont think they should either! At this age the tip over between being buddies and being more is right there....And they each SHOULD have their own time. I just wish the Girlscouts would make some changes! Was wondering if it was just a local thing. I am going to talk to her daddy when he comes home. See if they can do some projects together!
    momof030404

Comment by momof030404 (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I don't think that girls should join boy scouts because it's a boys' group, but Girl Scouts definitely needs to look at what it is teaching and think about changing. I tried Brownies/Girl Scouts when I was a little girl but stopped going because all they were doing was cooking and sewing. My mom had already taught me those things and I wanted to do fun things like my brothers were doing. They were camping and learning knots. Maybe it's time that the organization realizes that some girls like to do more active things.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 4:46 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I was a girlscout and I'm surprised that they haven't "upped" their program in all these years . My son was a Cub Scout and I loved the stuff we did there. I just assumed (I know!!!) that GS were doing better things now than they did way back when....
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 4:46 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Girls can not join Boy Scouts, but they can join Venturing - a high adventure group associated with Boy Scouts of America for boys and girls ages 14 - 21. In this group, it is possible to obtain the Ranger Award which is equivalent to the rank of Eagle Scout.
    mpeada

Answer by mpeada at 4:47 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Ok..it is called Venturing or Venture Scouts. Co-ed for older high school kids.

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Venturing/About.aspx

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:50 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• There are other things that you DD can do even though she can't do boy scouts.

Try:  http://www.campfireusa.org/

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 4:54 PM on Sep. 1, 2010