how do i protect my cat from my kids?

so we just got a little kitten and the poor cat..the kids wont leave her alone they keep trying to hurt her..not on purpose they are just playing with her...does anyone eles have this problem ..if so plz give me some advise on how to stop my kids from hurting her

Rebecca.R.

Asked by Rebecca.R. at 4:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Pets

• I Know The Best Way This Used To Happen With My Son When He Was Three And He Had A Puppy!! ALLL DAY it would be my son grabbing the puppies tail and he would shoot under my feet and i would almost fall.. it was an everyday thing! it Drove me crazy until one day it HIT me!! i thought Why Not Feed My Pup In the middle of the street so everyday i would put a fresh bowl of puppy chow in the middle on the road and little indy would walk out there and eat and with in umm 4 days! i would say.. indy was SMASHED!!!! i bet if you feed your kitty in the middle of the road you will never have to deal with the annoyance of you kids playing with her!! Good Luck!! *DIE KITTY DIE* :)
    SammiGirl07

Answer by SammiGirl07 at 11:16 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Give the cat a special place she can hide and explain to your kids that when the kitty is gone to her special spot its time to leave her alone. Kinda like when your in the bathtub, alone time.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 4:44 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I agree give the cat her own place where the kids wont bother her.
    EveMomToThree

Answer by EveMomToThree at 5:56 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I lived with my aunt for a bit with my dog. Her 3 grandkids were poking and proding at the dog all the time. Basically you have to monitor and just keep teaching the kids how to treat and animal. If they are not being gentle enough, then you need to not allow them to touch the cat. When they are being nice they can play with the cat.
    Niki_sd

Answer by Niki_sd at 6:01 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I have always taught my kids to treat other things and animals as they would like to be treated. Talk with your kids and ask them if they would like the cat to do the same to them that they are doing to it? Then when they ask, "Why the cat is always trying to get away from them?" you can ask them if they like to have time alone and explain that that is what the cat wants from time to time just like them.

I used to hate it when my son would reach up and pull green leaves off of a tree as we walked by it. I used to ask him if he would like that tree to grab his finger and pull them off? It stumped him but it got him thinking.

I look at the golden rule as "Treat others, nature and things the way you would want them to treat you."
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 11:15 PM on Sep. 1, 2010