Does this read like sound policy to you?

Governors from Minnesota and Virginia are turning down $55M of no-strings federal funding for comprehensive sex ed programs. They would rather take $50M for abstinence-only programs that require states to provide a 75% match.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/08/31/pawlenty-mcdonnell-abstinence-obamacare_n_700951.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• No- It sounds loony to me. Playing to a political base,

mommom2000

Answer by mommom2000 at 4:51 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yes, NOTHING from the fed government is no-strings-attached.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 4:48 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• If we TEACH our kids how to say no, rather than give them implicit permission to have sex, isn't that a good thing? And what is the teen preg rate anyway, the highest in the world? Obviously, comprehensive sex ed isn't working all that well, so why NOT try something different? It is time to give the PARENTS permission to teach their kids about sex how and when THEY feel it is appropriate for their child.
    29again

Answer by 29again at 5:37 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Though, fwiw... I do think it's the parent's responsibility to teach their own kids about sex.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 5:01 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Good for them. (if you can believe the huffy post) It is time for us to start thinking for ourselves again and showing our Uncle Sam we are big people and can take care of ourselves.

Answer by jesse123456 an hour
    ***************************************
    IF people could take care of themselves. IF....but I doubt they can. The Teen pregnancy rate is soaring because parents are not talking to their kids about sex,love and birth control. Kids are completely aimless and without guidance and all they want to do is have sex because their parents leave them alone and they are so damn stupid and refuse to talk to their kids about sex. SO....I doubt that teens are going to stop getting pregnant UNLESS there are programs in place that tell them how worng it is to have sex...but they might and if they do ...how to use birth control. It is that simple.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 9:37 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Parents have permission to teach their children about sex, the problem is that not all parents will or do. If more parents would take the time to do it, perhaps the schools wouldn't have to. I do think its ridiculous that we find our schools spending more and more time parenting children these days, when they're there to educate....

And teaching people how to be safe and responsible isn't giving them permission. Its accepting that we can't force people not to do something if they want to, that unless we're going to hold their hands 24/7 they need to know how to make informed decisions. By all means, teach your children to wait, but teach them the dangers of STD's, pregnancy, and how to be safe as well!
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 5:51 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• YES, YES, YES You couldn't pay me to believe there are no strings
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 6:18 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yes, Pawlenty is loony. Michele Bachman is too. I live in MN. I am embarassed ...they are both so Conservative and uptight they are living in the 19th century. The idea that he wants to turn down funds ....that he is in favor of abstinence instead makes me angry. I taught my kids to avoid sex until they wwre out of high school but they also knew all about reproduction, and birth control. I think too many parents won't talk to their kids and are afraid to be parents...they just want to be a friend and not risk making the kids mad. SO ---if they get mad,I never cared. I told them I wanted them to be responsible adults, not my best friend. Kids NEED to know how to prevent pregnancy. Pawlenty wants to ignore that. WHat a jerk. He is running for President you know.....OMG.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 8:10 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:45 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• So the tax payers save $55M now.... how much will we end up forking over to all the new teen mothers in the coming years?
    coder_chick