Can a child be advance from Kindergarten if they already know all the material?

I talked to my daughter's Kindergarten teacher and she told me that my daughter is really smart. She's had to get after her for blurting out answers instead of allowing the other children to think of the answers.

I know that she needs to slow down and be patient, but at the same time I'm afraid that she's going to become very bored with it. Can anyone give me any advice on any of this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:20 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Teacher here.....I personally would not do this....School not only deals with academic excellence but also emotional and maturity issues. They also learn a great deal about relationships and how to be a good student, learn responsibility, and motivation. Academics is a small part of what Kindergartners need to master before moving on.

I have no idea about your dd but there are many things that play into doing well in school. She is probably very smart but at her age its really hard to determine is pushing her ahead would impede her in any way. She needs to have some more time in the classroom to determine if that would be best for her. Most children will do fine in school even if the material is easy for them, but pushing her ahead could overwhelm her and backfire.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 11:26 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• depends on where you are. some states or counties do not skip grades.
    Anonymous

• Another teacher here, I agree with the PP. Kindergarten is about alot more than academics. Skipping her could be very detrimental from a social/emotional perspective.  Let your daughter enjoy school and continue to enrich her at home. The curriculum will get more difficult as the year progresses. Kindergarten generally starts off at a slower pace to give the students time to adjust. If she is truly advanced she could be moved up later or maybe tested for a gifted program. Give her a while ( maybe a few years) to see how she does.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 11:45 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• NOT a teacher here! lol but i completely agree with the previous posts. I got pushed a grade ahead and i hated it. i didnt adjust to the differences of the kids i was in class with, to the new kids and the things they do and they talk about. i ended up going back to my normal grade. i did well but maturity level was a big difference.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 11:55 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Maybe you could get her into an extra curricular activity to keep her mind busy. If she's still very advanced next year, maybe an accelerated curriculum is in order, if you have that where you live. Good luck!

shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 4:17 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• My son knows everything he's learning in kindergarten cold. Has had it down for the better part of a year. There is more to it than academics though. That's actually the easy part, a fact he's learning the hard way. That your daughter needs to be reminded not to talk out of turn is a good example. It's a social skill she needs to learn and kindergarten is the best to learn it. Once she gets into higher grades there will be less tolerance of behavior issues even smallish ones like that. There are lots of ways you can keep her interested. Get her a library card. You can get activity books at the 99 cent store. There are tons of free websites with both interactive and printable activities for children her age. She doesn't have to be bored. Harness her excitment about learning now and she will always be one step ahead of her classes.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 9:47 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Thanks everyone for your responses. It's made me look at it a different way. She does have a library card that she uses and we work on all kinds of learning material online and with those educational books (writing, reading, games, online games like the Learning Rabbit one, crafts, making her own story books, art work, and so much more).

She is an only child, so that might be why she just blurts out the answers. She also went to two years of pre-school.

I will continue to work with her. She loves learning and is always wanting to learn new things. I will just bring out newer material for her if I see that she is becoming bored with something.

Thanks everyone!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Oct. 12, 2008