Do you notice a lot of people that find God (as adults) had some personal trauma in thei r lives just prior to hearing the Lord?

I've heard some stories from people lately and they all seem to be in some sort of Depression or having some personal life traumas and it almost seems like they turn to God in an hour of desperation because God and the Church look better at that time than their crappy lives do.

Is that sorta true? At least for adults who've never previously had any religious interests in their lives?

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 5:03 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I honestly believe it's the last desperate attempt to soothe themselves. I think deep, deep down insided, they know they don't have "faith". They are at the end of their rope....and while everything else has failed them, why not give an invisible being a shot too?
    Maybe it helps them get out of their issue, or help them deal with their issue.
    I just wish more people realized that it's really their own inner strength that got them out. That they aren't helpless and at the mercy of an invisible being.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 5:30 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• No not necessarily. It's different for everyone.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 5:14 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Think about the type of people who are drawn into christianity--or any religious cult. They are weak-minded, addicted to drugs, alcohol, or other criminal behaviors.

OR they could be Mother Theresa, Dr Martin Luther King, Tom Hanks, Pochantas, they could also be C.S. Eliot, Abe Lincoln or Barak Obama- all very diverse-all very accomplished. They could be the founders of the Special Olympics or the YMCA....they can be a lot of things.....
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:09 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Is that sorta true? At least for adults who've never previously had any religious interests in their lives?

Yes, and that is the beauty of Faith-its a gift you give yourself. What a wonderful thing!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 5:05 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• soyousay...how is that faith? knowing that there is a god but only calling on him when you are desperate...

No-its finding it when you need it the most- that is faith and I would hope people would carrying what they found in their most desperate times with them to the good times as well....its your gift to keep in good times and bad....
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 5:16 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I think it is, but it's also God's way of calling you back. My firend and I discuss God a lot, and when things are going great we don't...but as soon as stuff goes bad she is writing me about "why is God doing this..." God does't make you life bad, LIFE, is a dangerous adventure and no one is getting out of this alive. My advice, keep God with you in the good times too!
    mommerbean

Answer by mommerbean at 5:19 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• That they aren't helpless and at the mercy of an invisible being.

Truly believing does not leave you helpless or at the mercy of anything-it gives you hope and strength-it gives you purpose- how can that be a bad thing?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 5:36 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I absolutely find that true. Look at how many alcoholics/drug addicts credit god with not being addicted any longer, look at how many criminals find god after going to jail, and so on. I actually find it kind of sad because instead of placing faith and trust in themselves, they give up and chose to look to mythology to help them. Take god away from them and will their problems still be there? Are they really healed or are they using a god-bandaid? In the case of addictions, I think some of them replace one addiction for a religious addiction.

It also bothers me that believers will 'prey' on the downtrodden and make them think that the reason they are the way they are is because they are missing god when in reality they are missing self love and self esteem. They don't religion, they need someone to help them realize their inner strength and potential.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 5:48 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• They are weak-minded, addicted to drugs, alcohol, or other criminal behaviors. Look at the number of prison inmates that seem to "find Jesus". The number of drug abusers. Prostitutes. People who fear something--or everything. The number of confused and frightened teens being dragged---

yes, i'll admit it now. i, in my stupid self, am an addict, and my rap-sheet is longer than your broom. i did find JC in prison, right after i was arrested on felony charges for prostituting my weak-minded, scared self out to my heroine-dealing pimp...as have all my xtian sisters, i'm sure. ain't we a bunch of losers!!
    nice.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:18 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• So you are saying God is just another word for yourself? Do you believe the Divine is simply your inner self?

No-your Faith is your inner strength. Your soul is indeed divine and made in the image of God. You substituted "self" for "strength" BTW.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:24 PM on Sep. 1, 2010