What do you ladies do to help get your kids to do their HW?

I just explained to my dd how to do her homework I hopeshe got it she's started off pretty good yesterday (I let her do some) she has until Friday to complete. anyway I told her this morning that as soon as she gets home from school she has to finish her HW. I pick them up from school she gets comfortable I tell her I'll them
some time unwind and eat something then she'll do it this 2:40 @ 3:30 I am cleaning up the kitchen I keep telling her to come do her HW she's like just a minute mommy I just want to relax a few more mins. here we are 4:00 she still hasn't done anything not even cause her dad toalk to her last night. I had to get the belt just to make her think I was gonna do something she makes a big seen with me (drama queen) I gave her a little spank with the belt just one. Well she finally moved her butt NOW she's doing her HW...WHY? Did I have to get the belt to get her to do it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:20 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have you tried sitting with her at the table and helping her? That is probably going to be more effective in the long run.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 5:24 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• You shouldn't have to use a belt to get your child to do her homework. There are other things you can do to get her moving. Take away TV, video games, toys, etc... until she learns that homework comes first. My children always sit down and get it done as soon as they have a snack.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 5:24 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Use a timer. Set the timer for 5 or 10 minutes. I would NOT turn on TV during this time as it will most likely cause problems. I would suggest a snack or reading time to 'down' time. When the timer goes off, she sits at the table/desk to complete the homework. If she argues, she loses privileges.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:32 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• hmmm..no, i don't think you should've used the belt as a threat (or punishment). perhaps sitting down with her and telling her how important it is that she do her work, to help her learn better in the her classes, would've been better.
    the second thing i ask my ds everyday is 'do you have homework?', when he comes in from school. if yes, he sits down at the breakfast bar and does it, first..before tv, or outside play, etc. if he says, 'no', i ask him again, just to make sure. yes, you have to stay on top of them sometimes, buy physical harm is never the answer or correct prodding.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 5:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I remember when I was in school, I hated homework. So, I did my best to get it done "before" I left school. Why? When I was a kid, I lived on a farm, chores had to be done. If you are stuck doing homework, chores got done after-wards, and it got dark..no play time then. "Anonymous", I have to say, that judging from your lack of proper grammar, your parents didn't sit down with you and help you much either. Make a difference with your child. Help her, and learn some things as well. Taking the time to sit with your child will build a lasting bond that will aid you in the future, when she is grown and moves out. You never want to lose your child's respect, nor love. Sit with her, watch her, answer her questions best you can, and maybe the both of you will become closer, and she will "want" to do her homework right away...cause doing it means spending time with mommy.
    Bearwolf48

Answer by Bearwolf48 at 5:31 PM on Sep. 1, 2010