My 1 year old screams and cries when a "stranger" gets within 7 feet of him.

Ok, since my son has been born he's always been frightened of people. He would never let anyone hold him. My parents live with me so he's always been used to us 3. Then he got used to my Grandma b/c she came over about once every 2 weeks. I breastfed and still do, and co sleep with him. Everyone seems to think that the breastfeeding is why he is so scared of other people but I just dont think thats it. He will not let anyone in his family to have contact with him. Its so bad, if someone just looks at him and talks to him, he screams and cries. What can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:32 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have BF 4 kids for 7 yrs and counting. I don't have a timid or fearful child! We co-slept too! That's an inborn trait, he would've been himself if you'd have FF him. Don't listen to the haters, they just want someone to blame. Stick up for your son and stick by him! He's getting old enough for thoughtless comments from thoughtless people to hurt his feelings. Maybe you could take him out in public and carry him. Then go to the same places and hold his hand. Take small steps slowly! He'll be ok. I'd watch what people said about him though, it really will hurt his feelings!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 4:08 AM on Oct. 12, 2008