Does anyone else have severe ovulation pains?

I've had terrible O pains since I was a teenager. I didn't realize what it was till I became an adult and my mom told me she has it too. The pain gets so bad that I can barely stand up. Luckily the worst pains only last a few hours, but it's debilitating. My first O after having my twins was horrible, but I have pain meds from delivery (since I didn't really use it) so I took them and that really helped and I was actually able to function. I only needed a couple cause I only hurt for a few hours. So does anyone else take pain meds for O pain or period pain? Oh I forgot to mention that I've tried Aleve, Ibuprofen, and Tylenol in the past and it just barely takes the edge off.

twinmama2five

Asked by twinmama2five at 5:55 PM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Health

• Every month...I can even tell which ovary is releasing the egg, it's that bad.

I just suck it up and deal with it.

I have poly-cystic ovarian syndrome and know there are cysts on my ovaries so I don't really worry about it too much unless it feels like someone is stabbing me with a burning knife...that's how I know there is a ruptured cyst.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 9:40 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I get them too. But I just take Tylenol or take a bath or suffer through it.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 5:58 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• i get really bad cramps even when i'm not on my period, i usually take ibuprofen, doctor proscribe me percocets but i don't really take them

mommyof2boysmd

Answer by mommyof2boysmd at 6:00 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yeah that's what I've done all these years, is just suffer through it. But if I can take something that will make me functional again I think I'm gonna give it a try. Plus I'm only taking two pills a month.
    twinmama2five

Comment by twinmama2five (original poster) at 6:12 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Are you sure it's not ovarian cysts? That can make anything that goes on with your ovaries just painful. It sounds like you have cysts rupturing, and can last a few hours to a few days. They aren't all detected by ultrasound either. I had 5 ultrasounds while begging for painmeds in the hospital and they found nothing. Doubled over crying. I saw a specialist, we went into surgery and found my right ovary was 4 times the size of the left and ridden with cysts. I have never heard of "ovulation pain" has it been professionaly diagnosed? If not, you could be going through all this and not have to!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 6:22 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• To Musicmom80: yes, there is such a thing as ovulation pain. It's a weird word that starts with a m like miterschlitz. I guess it could be cysts, but I've had this same pain since I was in middle school, so I doubt that's it. A lot of women don't know that there is a such thing as ovulation pain because they don't have it, or it's really mild.
    twinmama2five

Comment by twinmama2five (original poster) at 6:49 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Well then :) you learn something new every day!
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 8:55 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I began experiencing horrible pains in my lower right abdomen after my second child. They were debilitating and I couldn't move until the pain went away. Several uttrasounds and an MRI showed that I had ovarian cysts in my right ovary. My doctor put me on a strong birth control and the cysts got smaller and the pain decreased. I recently began seeing another doctor and she changed my birth control. I think it is a lower dose pill because the pains have returned and have become increasingly more painful. I'm waiting to see an ob/gyn in a week to see what is going on.

I don't know if this is related, but I also experienced extremely severe menstral cramps as a teenager. I was finally put on birth control to control the pain and I've been on birth control ever since except when I was pregnant and breast feeding.
    KendraR

Answer by KendraR at 10:31 PM on Sep. 1, 2010